ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
People call for investigation after watching Olympic star Raygun speak out for first time since going viral
Home>News>Sport
Updated 14:29 15 Aug 2024 GMT+1Published 14:28 15 Aug 2024 GMT+1

People call for investigation after watching Olympic star Raygun speak out for first time since going viral

Raygun has broken her silence on the Olympics controversy

Olivia Burke

Olivia Burke

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The Paris Olympics might be over and done with, but the drama certainly isn't.

Amid all of the relentless chatter about Australian breakdancer Raygun which has continued - and still shows no sign of slowing down - over the last week, sports fans have been patiently waiting for her to break her silence.

And the competitive breakdancer, 36, has now finally spoken out about the controversy surrounding her performance at the Olympics which earned zero points from the judges.

She shared a lengthy video on Instagram on Thursday (15 August) explaining that she has been left 'devastated' by the flack she has received online after footage of her routine went viral.

Advert

It's already been parodied on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, so it's no wonder that Raygun wants to nip all the jokes at her expense in the bud ASAP.

She said in the clip: "I wanted to start by thanking all the people who supported me. I really appreciate the positivity and was glad I was able to bring some joy in to your lives. That's what I hoped.

"I didn't realise that would also open the door to so much hate which has frankly been pretty devastating. I went out there and I had fun. I did take it very seriously. I worked my butt off working for the Olympics. I gave my all, truly."

The dancer - who's real name is Rachael Gunn - was met with some sympathy from social media users after sharing her response, however, there were still many who want more answers.

Several people in the comment section of her post called for an official investigation to be launched into how the academic, who is an expert researcher on breaking, ended up earning the honour of representing Australia.

The breakdancer has finally spoken out about her Olympic routine (Elsa/Getty Images)
The breakdancer has finally spoken out about her Olympic routine (Elsa/Getty Images)

One person said: "No hate, just lots of questions..."

Another wrote: "There needs to be investigation on how you got in the Olympics."

A third added: "If that was 'your all' then you took someone’s spot in the Olympics, they deserved it more. I hope you’re investigated for this."

A fourth added: "Can you honestly explain how you got selected? I’m genuinely curious."

While a fifth chimed in: "It was a terrible performance and people have the right to say that. I'm not sure how or why you got through, but maybe breaking shouldn't be in the Olympics if it's watered down so much that anyone can get in."

Elsewhere in the video, Raygun said she was 'honoured' to have represented her country in Paris and explained that she would 'really like' people to stop harassing her friends, family and the breakdancing community.

The Aussie also appeared to touch on the petition that has been launched against her, which has been signed by 50,000 people.

Fans called for a official investigation to take place in the comment section of Raygun's video (Instagram/@raygun_aus)
Fans called for a official investigation to take place in the comment section of Raygun's video (Instagram/@raygun_aus)

She provided no further comment at this stage and instead referred people to the Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) and its comment on the matter.

The petition alleges - without evidence - that Raygun 'manipulated the selection process to her own advantage', with it demanding a public apology from her and Paris Chef de Mission Meares 'for misleading the Australian public and attempting to gaslight the public and undermining the efforts of genuine athletes'.

AOC boss Matt Carroll lambasted the petition as 'appalling', adding: "The AOC is particularly offended by the affront to our Chef de Mission, Anna Meares. The Australian Team Chef de Mission played no role in the qualification events nor the nomination of athletes to the AOC Selection Committee, of which the Chef and I are members.

"It is disgraceful that these falsehoods concocted by an anonymous person can be published in this way. It amounts to bullying and harassment and is defamatory. We are demanding that it be removed from the site immediately."

Raygun's loved ones have previously addressed the drama surrounding her Olympic debut, while her best friend Sunny Spiteri also spoken out in her defence earlier this week.

But there is one silver lining - she's been touted as the next big reality star off the back of her breakdancing flop.

Featured Image Credit: Instagram/raygun_aus/Elsa/Getty Images

Topics: Olympics, Sport, Australia, News, Viral

Olivia Burke
Olivia Burke

Olivia is a journalist at LADbible Group with more than five years of experience and has worked for a number of top publishers, including News UK. She also enjoys writing food reviews (as well as the eating part). She is a stereotypical reality TV addict, but still finds time for a serious documentary.

X

@livburke_

Recommended reads

Jon Bernthal's 11-year-old daughter's pay cheque for The Punisher has been revealedJamie McCarthy/Getty ImagesDoctor explains why everyone should be drinking milk in heatwave as temperatures soar above 30 degreesGetty Stock PhotoGemma Collins shows off incredible body transformation after shedding 3.5 stone with weight loss jabsGemma Collins/InstagramKiller sends harrowing message to victims' family after murdering mechanic over $500Fox 26 Houston

Advert

Choose your content:

4 hours ago
5 hours ago
6 hours ago
  • Getty Stock Photo
    4 hours ago

    Doctor explains why everyone should be drinking milk in heatwave as temperatures soar above 30 degrees

    Temperatures are soaring to 33 degrees celsius in the UK this week

    News
  • Fox 26 Houston
    5 hours ago

    Killer sends harrowing message to victims' family after murdering mechanic over $500

    Luis Casillas, 29, begged for his life before being forced to his knees and fatally shot

    News
  • SWNS
    5 hours ago

    Man in £80,000 of debt after harrowing cocaine addiction explains what finally made him quit

    At his worst, Alex Powell was spending £600 a day on drugs

    News
  • Sean Gardner/Getty Images
    6 hours ago

    Kyle Busch's 11-year-old son pays heartbreaking tribute as RCR reveals plan for dad's No.8 car

    The racing star sadly passed away after experiencing a 'severe illness'

    News
  • Lindsey Vonn speaks out for first time after Olympic skier suffers horrific injury
  • Boy, 11, who vanished for six years in different country contacts mum for first time since being found
  • 'Devastated' Raygun speaks out for first time since going viral with Olympics breakdancing performance
  • Family speak out for first time as British teen dies in Vietnam holiday hotspot