• Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • LAD Originals

U OK M8?
Free To Be
Citizen Reef

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now

Faulty Charger Partially Blinds Woman After Spark Flies Into Her Eye

| Last updated 

Faulty Charger Partially Blinds Woman After Spark Flies Into Her Eye

A university student was left partially blind after a faulty phone charger exploded, sending a spark flying into her eye.


Law student Esther Modede, 19, was plugging her phone in to charge on the evening of Tuesday 27 April when she noticed the wire looked 'slightly damaged', having lent it to friends over the weekend.

Not long after she'd started charging it, her phone and charger started burning up and smoke began to emit from the wire.


Suddenly, the wire began emitting sparks, with one hitting Modede directly in her left eye, leaving her unable to see out of it.

Credit: Caters
Credit: Caters

That night, she spent four hours in hospital getting her eye bandaged up, but even when the dressing was removed three days later, her eyesight still wasn't back to normal.

Thankfully, she is slowly recovering, but now said she has been 'extremely worried'.


Modede, from Birmingham, West Midlands, said: "I had borrowed [sic] to friends my charger over the weekend and when I got it back it was slightly damaged.

"I didn't think anything of it so I plugged in my phone to charge and it started burning up.

Credit: Caters
Credit: Caters
Credit: Caters
Credit: Caters

"I didn't think it was going to get any worse and then as I was recording it, it started sparking.

"I then got a spark in my eye and I couldn't see very well at all. I didn't realise I was that close or that the spark would be able to enter my eye. I was extremely worried.

"Everything went blurry and when I closed my other eye I couldn't see very well.

"I had the bandage on my eye for three days. When I took the bandage off I couldn't see very clearly, but my sight has cleared up and is still healing."

Credit: Caters
Credit: Caters

When being treated, Modede was told by eye specialists at Birmingham City Hospital that the rogue spark had damaged her cornea.

She said: "The surface of my eye was affected. The moment the spark hit my eye, my eye shut and I felt it begin to swell. It was a hot sensation. The swelling and the blurring of my sight was worrying.

"My vision as of last week was still recovering but as of currently it's a lot better and I can now read when the other eye is shut."

Featured Image Credit: Caters

Topics: UK News, phone, News, Technology

Jess Hardiman
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You


President Zelenskyy Sends Surprise Message To Glastonbury Crowd

a day ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read


Greta Thunberg Makes Surprise Appearance At Glastonbury Main Stage

3 hours ago