Advert

Latest

Gigantic Moving Gundam Robot Unveiled In Japan
published at8 minutes ago
Advert
Advert

Most Popular

Advert
News

Teenage Boy Suffers Burns After Phone Charger Explodes During The Night

Teenage Boy Suffers Burns After Phone Charger Explodes During The Night

A US teen was thrown from his bed in the middle of the night after a portable charger plugged in next to him exploded.

Fifteen-year-old Colton Pingree, from Tuolumne, California, suffered second degree burns as a result of the explosion, which also caused a fire in his room - burning a pillow and two comforter blankets.

Credit: Kennedy News
Credit: Kennedy News

The charging pack was second hand, bought online. Colton placed it the pillow next to him before going to sleep, charging it ahead of going to school the following the day.

Advert

At around 2.30am in the morning he awoke, only to discover he was lying on his bedroom floor with a severely sore back and a strange smell surrounding him.

"I looked up and both of my comforters and one of my pillows was on fire," Colton explained.

"The fire was probably about 4 inches long and 5 inches wide and [the explosion] literally pushed me off the bed.

"I woke up in a panic - I stood up and started grabbing the fire with my bare hands and rolling it out.

Advert

"After I got the flames out I grabbed a water bottle I had by my bed and I had a small pocket knife besides me, so I poked a hole at the top of the cap and started spraying the spots that were still smouldering and red."

Credit: Kennedy News
Credit: Kennedy News

The charging pack itself was still on fire and so Colton hastily threw it into the toilet, before going to alert his father, Andrew Pringee.

"His back and arm was really badly burnt and it looked like a really bad sunburn so we didn't go to the hospital at that point in time - I waited until the following morning and then we took him," said 49 year-old Andrew.

More Like ThisMore Like This

1 of 6
Community

Mum Issues Warning After Husband's iPhone 'Explodes' Filling Home With Smoke

Advert
News

​Nokia Voted As The Best Pre-iPhone Era Phone Brand

published at15 days ago

"I was pretty scared and confused at first and then I figured out what was going on and it was under control by then, but then I was more concerned about his back and he was in a lot of pain.

"It was a pretty good explosion - little hot sharp metal pieces basically burnt the lower end of his buttocks and back, and scattered out all the way to the wall across his bed."

Colton explained the pain became progressively worse (Credit: Kennedy News and Media)
Colton explained the pain became progressively worse (Credit: Kennedy News and Media)

As the pain in Colton's injuries became worse, his dad took him to hospital where - after initially diagnosing him with bruises - it eventually became clear he was suffering from bad burns, after he took off a protective strip that pulled off a layer of skin with it.

Advert

Thankfully the injuries are now healing, but the family are keen to make sure other people are careful when it comes to charging electrical appliances by their bed sides.

Credit: Kennedy News
Credit: Kennedy News

"Don't keep charging packs with you when you're sleeping - just have them away from you and somewhere that's not easy to catch on fire," warned Colton.

"I'll also put my phone off the side of my bed - it could cause another thing like that to happen again.

Advert

"I suggest that others don't sleep with them either as it could happen to anyone - I never expected that."

Useful advice for us all.

Featured Image Credit: Kennedy News

Topics: Phones and Gadgets, US News, Health

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Boris Johnson Says People Who Test Negative For Covid-19 Could Be Released From Tier 3 Restrictions
published at4 days ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

Mysterious Monolith Similar To One Found In Utah Appears On Romanian Hillside

published at6 hours ago