Mum Stripped Naked And Nearly Paralysed On Surf Simulator
A mum-of-two was nearly left paralysed after using a surf simulator machine while on holiday in Egypt.
Tracy Turner, from Pontefract, West Yorkshire, UK, sustained crushed bones and fractures to her back and neck while using the machine at the water park attached to the Coral Sea Aqua Club Hotel in Sharm El Sheikh.
The 51-year-old claims doctors have since told her she was just millimetres from ending up permanently paralysed.
Footage shows Tracy falling off the board before getting caught in the current, with the water ripping off her bikini and dragging her back up the slope. While she was fortunate to avoid leaving the attraction without a disability, Tracy said the incident had 'ruined' her life.
She said: "People need to realise these water parks are dangerous.
"I was lucky not to be in a wheelchair but the next person might not be. My life has changed forever and has been ruined from a simple water ride.
"I never knew they were that dangerous. I was a real outdoors person and had a great social life - now I can't do anywhere near as much as I used to. I have also piled on the weight as I can't go to the gym and am depressed."
Tracy now has regular injections in her spine and takes a number of painkillers, but she says her injuries still hurt - even though the accident happened back in 2015.
More Like ThisMore Like This
She said: "The pain is like a constant really bad tooth ache that never goes away. It really hurts and I don't know if or when it will get better. It is constant pain in my neck and my back between my shoulder blades.
"My doctor even told me it is likely that the injury could also cause arthritis in the future and I now have a new nagging pain at the bottom of my back."
Tracy has since taken legal action against travel operator TUI, who she claims has never shown any interest in her injuries.
She said: "The worst thing is that the tour operator TUI don't care. They are happy to take your money but if anything happens then they are not bothered. They wash their hands of you. They never even bothered to see me after I was injured.
A TUI spokesperson said: "We're aware of this matter, but as the case is proceeding to trial it would be inappropriate of us to comment further."
Meanwhile lawyer Claire Rabbetts, who is representing Tracy, said the incident demonstrated the importance of having sufficient safety procedures in place on such attractions.
She said: "This was a very nasty injury which could easily have resulted in Tracy being paralysed. She has had a very rough time since the accident. This incident demonstrates how dangerous certain water attractions can be without attentive lifeguards and health and safety measures.
"Whilst water parks are fun attractions, if safety procedures are lacking they can become dangerous and cause devastating injuries."
Featured Image Credit: Caters
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read