ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Criminal investigation launched as dad died after toxic material exposure in kitchens
Home>News>UK News
Updated 08:31 19 Feb 2026 GMTPublished 08:27 19 Feb 2026 GMT

Criminal investigation launched as dad died after toxic material exposure in kitchens

Marek Marzec said his life had been cut short 'simply for doing my job'

Jess Battison

Jess Battison

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

In November 2024, Marek Marzec died following a lung disease diagnosis after years of cutting kitchen worktops.

Originally from Poland, the dad-of-three had been working as a stoneworker in north London and Hertfordshire since 2012.

Having been diagnosed with silicosis, an incurable, progressive lung disease caused by inhaling toxic silica dust, a criminal investigation has now been launched over whether his death was homicide related.

Speaking from hospital, the 48-year-old had said he was in ‘terrible pain’ and ‘unable to breathe’ because of the work he did cutting quartz worktops.

Advert

“I cannot tell you how angry I am that I was allowed to work in these conditions and that my life has been cut short simply for doing my job,” Marzec said. Since 2023, there have been more than 50 cases of silicosis and four deaths among UK tradesmen.

The dad's death is under investigation. (Leigh Day/Family Handout)
The dad's death is under investigation. (Leigh Day/Family Handout)

A lung transplant is often the only way to treat the disease but Marzec was unfortunately too unwell to undergo the operation and was placed on end-of-life care.

His family had praised him for raising awareness before his death as they were ‘proud of the legacy he has left by speaking up for the victims of silicosis’.

Inquest proceedings into his death resumed at Poplar Coroner’s Court on Monday (16 February) as a pre-inquest review hearing was held.

Metropolitan Police Detective Sergeant Steve Jeffrey confirmed the force currently has primacy over the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) in the investigation.

This can be explained in that the police will take lead of an investigation in any circumstance where there is a suspicion that a negligent homicide may have been the cause of a death.

Therefore, there is the possibility of there being the first criminal convictions in relation to kitchen workers contracting silicosis due to unsafe working conditions.

He spoke of his anger from his hospital bed. (SWNS)
He spoke of his anger from his hospital bed. (SWNS)

John-Paul Swoboda KC, representing Marzec’s family said his relatives want to see a ‘thorough’ investigation into the man’s death.

He told Senior Coroner Mary Hassell: “I think there is a desire to ensure that what happened to Mr Marzec does not happen to anybody else.”

Statements had been submitted from two former employees of a company the stoneworker had worked at, his GP and respiratory physician as well as one prepared by Marzec before his death.

Alongside the Met Police’s investigation, the HSE probe will determine if ‘there are any health and safety breaches at any of the companies Mr Marzec worked for; and if the workplace safety watchdog should consider any ‘prosecution under health and safety legislation’ as a result.

A further inquest review hearing has been set for 22 July.

LADbible has contacted the Metropolitan Police for comment.

Featured Image Credit: SWNS

Topics: UK News, Health

Jess Battison
Jess Battison

Jess is a Senior Journalist with a love of all things pop culture. With a specialism in entertainment, she's covered the updates live at major events from The Brits in London to Disney's D23 in California. Jess covers the latest breaking news stories across the UK and the globe as well as interviewing your favourite faces including the likes of Dwayne Johnson, Stephen Graham, Aubrey Plaza and Chris Hemsworth. She graduated with a first in Journalism from City, University of London in 2021.

X

@jessbattison_

Recommended reads

Woman with vagina in 'world's top 1%' doing $2m a year experiment avoids tampons 'at all costs'Kate ToloMan who ran 10,000 miles and completed 109,600 push-ups, sit-ups, and squats shows off insane transformationXEasyJet raises ticket prices due to fuel crisis as company loses £550mMassimo Insabato/Archivio Massimo Insabato/Mondadori Portfolio via Getty ImagesChilling new theory emerges about how five divers died inside ‘shark cave’YouTube

Advert

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
15 hours ago
17 hours ago
19 hours ago
  • YouTube
    2 hours ago

    Chilling new theory emerges about how five divers died inside ‘shark cave’

    The group failed to resurface from the 'challenging' underwater expedition they embarked on last Thursday

    News
  • Grapevine Police
    15 hours ago

    Embarrassing moment Elon Musk's Tesla cybertruck tries new 'wade mode' in lake

    A man has been arrested after being accused of intentionally driving a cybertruck into a lake

    News
  • FIND KIELY
    17 hours ago

    YouTuber ordered to pay $17.5 million to dad of teenager after spreading lie about her death

    A jury reached the verdict that the YouTuber should have to pay millions

    News
  • MIKE PERSSON / AFP via Getty Images
    19 hours ago

    Two 'people hunters' under investigation over alleged sniper safaris that killed women and children

    Several journalists have now dropped bombshell claims about the alleged war crimes

    News
  • 48-year-old man dies after being given weeks to live following exposure to toxic material in kitchen worktops
  • Chilling footage shows moment dad admits to shooting daughter, 23, dead in US after 'row about Donald Trump'
  • Dad who ignored 'pink eye' could have died after infection left him looking like 'Sloth from The Goonies'
  • Dad of two dies after brain tumour symptoms ‘misdiagnosed as depression’