ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
TikTok's ban set to be reversed immediately by President Trump with one new request
Home>News>US News
Published 17:01 19 Jan 2025 GMT

TikTok's ban set to be reversed immediately by President Trump with one new request

Donald Trump's Inauguration as US President takes place tomorrow

Jess Battison

Jess Battison

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

TikTok’s ban in the US could be getting reversed pretty soon.

The app went dark in the states today (19 January), with a message currently greeting users: "Sorry, TikTok isn't available right now. A law banning TikTok has been enacted in the US. Unfortunately, that means you can't use TikTok for now."

This came into place following a law President Joe Biden signed last April, giving the app a deadline to separate its US business from parent firm ByteDance, as the government saw the China-based company’s control as a national security threat.

After an appeal was rejected at the US Supreme Court earlier this week, the TikTok ban went ahead. But, with a new President set to come into force, things could quickly change.

Advert

TikTok is currently banned in the US. (Anna Barclay/Getty Images)
TikTok is currently banned in the US. (Anna Barclay/Getty Images)

Donald Trump’s inauguration takes place tomorrow (20 January), and while he once favoured the ban, it seems the incoming president might reverse it immediately – with one new request.

The President-elect says he has plans to issue an executive order that would give TikTok’s China-based parent company more time to find an approved buyer before the platform is subject to a permanent ban in the US.

He announced this on a post on his Truth Social account as Americans awoke to find they could no longer access the app.

Trump says his order would ‘extend the period of time before the law’s prohibitions take effect’ and ‘confirm that there will be no liability for any company that helped keep TikTok from going dark before my order’.

He wrote: “Americans deserve to see our exciting Inauguration on Monday, as well as other events and conversations.”

The law enables the sitting president to grant a 90-day extension if there is a viable sale under way. However, while some investors did make offers, ByteDance previously said it wouldn’t sell.

Trump's inauguration is tomorrow. (Scott Olson/Getty Images)
Trump's inauguration is tomorrow. (Scott Olson/Getty Images)

Trump wrote in his post that he ‘would like the United States to have a 50% ownership position in a joint venture’. But it wasn’t quite clear from this if he meant the US government or an American company.

“By doing this, we save TikTok, keep it in good hands and allow it to stay up,” he wrote.

“Without US approval, there is no TikTok. With our approval, it is worth hundreds of billions of dollars – maybe trillions.”

While Brits had worried the same ban would come into place here, the UK government said: “This is a matter for the US government. There are no plans to introduce a TikTok ban in the UK.

“We engage with all major social media companies to understand their plans for ensuring the security of UK data and to ensure they meet the high data protection and cyber security standards we expect.”

Featured Image Credit: Scott Olson/Getty Images/Dan Kitwood/Getty Images

Topics: Donald Trump, Politics, Social Media, Technology, TikTok, US News, Joe Biden

Jess Battison
Jess Battison

Jess is a Senior Journalist with a love of all things pop culture. With a specialism in entertainment, she's covered the updates live at major events from The Brits in London to Disney's D23 in California. Jess covers the latest breaking news stories across the UK and the globe as well as interviewing your favourite faces including the likes of Dwayne Johnson, Stephen Graham, Aubrey Plaza and Chris Hemsworth. She graduated with a first in Journalism from City, University of London in 2021.

X

@jessbattison_

Recommended reads

Married at First Sight UK 'brides' claim they were raped by on-screen 'husbands', BBC report Getty StockBrooke Shields reflects on being made 'sex symbol' so young after starring in intimate scenes aged 11Dia Dipasupil/WireImageChris Watts' prison pen pal gives disturbing theory on why he murdered wife and two daughtersRJ Sangosti - Pool/Getty ImagesGTA 6 rumours are spiralling again - here’s everything we think could happen nextRockstar

Advert

  • Trump met with huge blow to White House ballroom plans after $1 billion proposal
  • Donald Trump's power move fails when meeting Chinese president Xi Jinping
  • Donald Trump’s former lawyer turns against him as he calls for never-before-used law that would remove president
  • Trump says US have taken out 'world's most active terrorist' in military operation

Choose your content:

29 mins ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • RJ Sangosti - Pool/Getty Images
    29 mins ago

    Chris Watts' prison pen pal gives disturbing theory on why he murdered wife and two daughters

    A judge described the killings as perhaps 'the most inhumane and vicious crime' he had seen.

    News
  • Facebook/James Broadanax
    2 hours ago

    Woman who married Death Row killer describes watching him be executed

    Tiana Krasniqi told how her 'brain couldn't comprehend what her eyes were seeing' as she witnessed James Broadnax's final moments

    News
  • Abdelg Alsayed/Anadolu via Getty Image
    2 hours ago

    PETA issues strong response after update on orcas 'left for dead' in abandoned marine park

    The animal rights group raised serious concerns about the 'abusement' park

    News
  • Chris Unger/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Why Dana White announced Conor McGregor's comeback fight during Francis Ngannou Netflix walkout

    The French-Cameroonian boxer simply said he 'doesn't care' as the UFC president made the move on Saturday

    News