ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Boy mauled by shark at luxury ‘walk with sharks adventure’
Home>News>World News
Updated 12:36 19 Jan 2024 GMTPublished 20:30 18 Jan 2024 GMT

Boy mauled by shark at luxury ‘walk with sharks adventure’

The company that own the attraction said they were 'deeply saddened'

Joe Harker

Joe Harker

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A shark attraction at a luxury resort in the Bahamas has been temporarily closed after a boy was bitten in an attack.

The 10-year-old child, originally from the US, had been visiting the Atlantis resort on Paradise Island in the Bahamas when he participated in 'an expedition in a shark tank' according to the Royal Bahamas Police Force.

The incident occurred at around 4pm local time on Monday (15 January), with the boy taken to hospital and described as being in 'a stable condition' after being bitten on his right leg.

Advert

According to ABC News, the boy was then airlifted from the hospital in the Bahamas back to Maryland for further care, with him making the journey at around 10.40pm local time yesterday (17 January).

They also report that the Atlantis Bahamas resort on Paradise Island has since removed references to shark-related activities from their website.

The boy was rushed to hospital and was described as being in a stable condition (stock image).
Tim Chapman/Liaison/ Getty Images

The 'Walking With the Sharks' experience at the resort is operated by Stuart Cove's Blue Adventures,

They said in a statement: "We are deeply saddened that a child suffered a shark bite during an in-water experience on Monday.

"A dive instructor and dive guide were in the water with the guest when the incident occurred and immediately responded to provide medical attention.

"The child was then transported to the hospital for medical treatment.

"We have begun a thorough internal investigation and are fully cooperating with the authorities. Incidents like this involving interactions with marine life, even with the species of sharks included in this experience, are rare and never acceptable.

"We have been operating this experience since 2006 and have never had a guest-related incident occur. The experience will remain closed during our investigation and as we review the findings.

"Our thoughts and support are with the child, parents and others impacted by the incident."

The exhibit has been temporarily closed and police are investigating (stock image).
Andrew Aitchison / In pictures

Witnesses to the shark attack told Today they 'saw the shark like hone in on him' and afterwards there was a pool of blood.

A guest at the resort told Eyewitness News Bahamas they'd seen the boy's mother 'running and screaming' and his father carrying him.

The guest said she had seen a towel tied around the 10-year-old's leg 'tourniquet-style'.

"Everyone was frantic trying to figure out what was going on," eyewitness Kim Darden said.

"It was very chaotic right then."

The 'Walking With the Sharks' was advertised as requiring no swimming experience and allow people to 'see Caribbean reef sharks and nurse sharks up close'.

Police have said that their investigations into the incident are ongoing.

LADbible has contacted Atlantis Paradise Island Bahamas for comment.

Featured Image Credit: Andrew Aitchison / In pictures / Tim Chapman/Liaison/ Getty Images

Topics: World News, Shark Attacks, Sharks

Joe Harker
Joe Harker

Joe graduated from the University of Salford with a degree in Journalism and worked for Reach before joining the LADbible Group. When not writing he enjoys the nerdier things in life like painting wargaming miniatures and chatting with other nerds on the internet. He's also spent a few years coaching fencing. Contact him via [email protected]

X

@MrJoeHarker

Recommended reads

Brits have become less spontaneous - and Cruzcampo is on a mission to change thatCruzcampoExpert compares all side effects of weed and alcohol to find out which is worse for youGetty Stock ImagesThe Boys has 'the worst finale ever' as major Game of Thrones comparison madePrime VideoRyanair issues price rise warning to millions as jet fuel crisis hits airlineJakub Porzycki/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Advert

  • Diver torn to death by 13ft great white shark in horror attack
  • 'Worst shark attack ever' saw desperate crew feed dead to sharks as they circled in bloodbath
  • Shark attack survivor describes chilling moment she realised twin sister's hand was missing
  • Man who survived shark attack shares the one thing people should ‘never do’ in situation

Choose your content:

an hour ago
4 hours ago
18 hours ago
  • Linkedin
    an hour ago

    JPMorgan executive sues ex-banker over ‘sex slave’ allegations

    JPMorgan executive Lorna Hajdini is suing a former colleague for defamation on fabricated claims of sexual abuse and racism to extort money

    News
  • (Instagram/boozebagfitness)
    4 hours ago

    Man taking steroids and drinking 24 beers for 80 days without working out shares all side effects

    Peter Mossfield has decided that boozing and taking steroids are the key to a ripped physique

    News
  • FNTV
    4 hours ago

    New York grandma dies falling down manhole after stepping out of car

    The family of the woman, identified as Donike Gocaj, 56, of Briarcliff Manor, New York, are trying to understand how the tragedy happened

    News
  • Instagram/@boozebagfitness
    18 hours ago

    Man takes steroids and drinks 24 beers for 77 days without working out to show impact on his body

    He spoke to LADbible amid preparing to enter a bodybuilding competition without ever lifting weights

    News