To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Major update in case after man died in horrific incident when being electrocuted while in jacuzzi on holiday

Major update in case after man died in horrific incident when being electrocuted while in jacuzzi on holiday

The married couple were both shocked by an 'electric discharge', and a new update in the case has been issued

An update had been issued in the horrific case of a man who died after being electrocuted in a jacuzzi on holiday.

Jorge Guillen, from Texas, US, was just 43 when he died following an 'electric discharge' while relaxing in a jacuzzi during his holiday at a resort in Puerto Peñasco, Mexico, according to local officials.

His wife, Lizzette Zambrano, 35, was also rushed to hospital following the incident, as she jumped in to try and save him but was jolted by the current.

According to officials in the state of Sonora, the married couple were in the jacuzzi just after 8:30pm pm on Tuesday, 11 June, at the private resort.

Footage of the horrific incident has been circulating online. (@bcsk_sanjeev)
Footage of the horrific incident has been circulating online. (@bcsk_sanjeev)

Jorge simply put his foot into the hot tub when he fell into an electric circuit and got trapped under water.

When his wife got caught in it too, another guest managed to save her, though it was sadly too little, too late for her husband, as other people were shocked by poles and metal tools when trying to help him.

Eyewitnesses realised that the pair were not moving in the jacuzzi, prompting them to call emergency services and attempt CPR, according to the General Prosecutor's Office.

A video of the incident has been doing the rounds on social media, as crowds of people can be seen gathering around the jacuzzi with people audibly screaming for 'help' as one is performing CPR on a person on the ground.

Now, six days on from the tragic incident, an update has been issued from survivor Lizzette Zambrano.

A lawsuit has been filed in the couple's home city of El Paso, Texas, for wrongful death and negligence.

Lizzette Zambrano is suing the resort following the incident. (GoFundMe)
Lizzette Zambrano is suing the resort following the incident. (GoFundMe)

The suit claims that resort staff took 10 minutes to respond, and that the hotel didn't warn guests about the dangers.

Tej Paranjpe, an attorney at PMR law - a Houston-based firm that is taking the case on - said that the incident is 'terrifying'.

He also said: "There was not a single staff member that did anything while Jorge was getting continuously shocked again and again underwater."

The manager on duty showed up after people cried for help for 10 minutes, retrieving Jorge's body from the bottom of the jacuzzi - though by that point, he was already dead.

Lizzette remains in critical condition in hospital, having been airlifted there following the incident last week.

Mexican prosecutors in the local state reported that those on the case were looking into 'the original of the electrical failure' and are set to conduct field visits in the coming days.

A video has been going around online, showing the severity of the situation. (Facebook/Alessandro Lizaraga)
A video has been going around online, showing the severity of the situation. (Facebook/Alessandro Lizaraga)

Hot tub electrocution caused by faulty lighting and pumps is a rare occurrence, but vigilance is still key to make sure that equipment is properly taken care off, say experts.

Since the tragic incident, a GoFundMe has been set up to help with medical expenses. The post attached says: “Our best friends have experienced a horrible accident. Jorge had a heart of gold and was always there for family and friends.

“The love they shared was one for ages. We are asking for your help to bring him home & help with medical expenses for her.”

At the time of writing, the GoFundMe has raised $54,000 (£42,600) of its $60,000 (£47,300) goal. If you want to donate, click here.

LADbible Group has contacted Sonoran Sea Resort for comment.

Featured Image Credit: GoFundMe/@bcsk_sanjeev

Topics: Holiday, World News, Travel, Health