Anthony Joshua Jokingly Says He'd Knock Out Conor McGregor
Last night was the GQ Awards and it was basically just a meeting of legends.
The likes of Liam Gallagher, Stormzy, Anthony Joshua and Pelé won awards, while people such as John Cooper Clarke, Jenson Button and Jeremy Corbyn presented the accolades.
As with most red carpet events, reporters were stood by trying to pry headline from celebrities. One of those posed an awkward question was Anthony Joshua, who won Sportsman of the Year.
He was asked about former Oasis singer LG, as well as David Haye and, of course, Conor McGregor. Obviously media trained, AJ was wise to what they were trying to do and side stepped it all nicely.
"He's a different weight!" he jokingly said when asked about fighting McGregor. "I'm not going to start trash-talking here... Liam? David? Conor?"
Then, in jest, he said: "Conor, I'll knock you out."
For the time being, AJ will be busy preparing for his fight with Kubrat Pulev on October 28.
In a clip uploaded to his Instagram, Joshua has finally acknowledged the fight against the Bulgarian, describing himself as 'game' and 'ready', and adding that it's been a long time coming and that he 'can't wait to get back in the ring'.
The heavyweight champion will be defending his title against Pulev, who was named the mandatory challenger by the International Boxing Federation (IBF) after Waldimir Klitschscko announced his retirement, quashing any plans for a rematch.
More Like ThisMore Like This
Thirty-six-year-old Bulgarian Pulev has lost just one of his 26 professional fights - to Klitschko in 2014 - with an impressive 13 knockouts.
Joshua has won every single one of his 19 fights, all knockouts. The 27-year-old British fighter is now 'raring to go', according to promotor Eddie Hearn.
Credit: Instagram/Anthony Joshua
The pair will meet at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff. Joshua also took the chance to tell his fans to keep their eyes on his website for more updates.
Earlier this week, a video emerged of Joshua telling rapper 50 Cent he would 'fuck up' Deontay Wilder - the WBC heavyweight champ who has held the belt since 2015. Fight fans are keen to see the pair in the ring, but Joshua must face Pulev first.
World Boxing Council president Mauricio Sulaiman also seems keen for the fight to take place - he told Sky Sports: "We will do whatever is possible and necessary to make it happen.
"That's the fight everybody wants to see. Joshua is a tremendous attraction and a positive role model, and Wilder is the same.
"Two undefeated champions should meet in the ring as soon as possible. Both have commitments to finish, so next year is the time to meet."
Hearn added: "AJ is up for fighting anyone."
Featured Image Credit: PA
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read