
Three sisters who were seriously injured in a major crash which also killed five others in Ireland have been pictured.
Ireland was left shocked after it was confirmed that five people had died in the crash in the early hours of Sunday morning (16 August).
Tragedy struck when the BMW, driving on the wrong side of the M9 road in Co Kildare, then collided head on with a Hyundai carrying a family of four, causing scenes of devastation.
Garda Síochána, Ireland's primary police and security service, initially thought that the BMW had been stolen. Inside were occupants Jeremy O'Brien, 18, Alex McCarthy, 17, Joey Carthy, 15, Jack Kennedy, 17, and Kamil Pustkowski, 17.
Advert

However before the crash, the BMW was driven down the motorway straight into incoming traffic, which meant that police couldn't follow them.
It was later reported that the four passengers inside the car that was struck by the BMW, all members of the same family from Carlow, are fighting for their lives.
Those inside have since been identified as as Niamh and Alma Kinsella, who remain in a critical condition. Meanwhile, Ella Hendricken, aged in her 20s, was also seriously injured.
A child, aged seven, was said to have suffered leg injuries in the incident.

However, all five passengers in the BMW later lost their lives. The families of the dead teenagers have paid tribute after their identities were confirmed by police.
Jeremy O’Brien’s mother, Margaret, posted: "Rest in heavenly peace, my beautiful son. Things will never be the same without you. You took a piece of my heart to heaven with you.
"It was such a privilege to be your mother. I am so proud of you."
And a post paying tribute to Joe Carthy said: "Why did it have to be you of all people? You would never see a bad bone in his body. He really was going to make something when he grew up."

Police are still seeking more details about the crash and appealing for witnesses, while DNA testing is likely to be necessary before the victims can be formerly identified.
It was confirmed however that officers in a patrol car had requested the black BMW to stop at around 2am on Sunday (16 August), but the car sped away and was driving down the motorway in the wrong direction.
Gardai did not follow the car the wrong way down the M9 motorway due to their rules and guidance given the dangers involved with risking a head-on collision with an oncoming car. The vehicle then did a u-turn and pulled into a service station in the Kilcullen area, before heading south on the northbound carriageway.
At around 3am on Sunday morning, the black BMW collided with a Hyundai carrying four people who had been travelling to Dublin Airport.
Irish Taoiseach Micheal Martin said the crash was 'an irresponsible and dangerous act', and condemned life-threatening driving 'being done for likes on social media' as he lamented the 'second appalling crash we've seen on our roads in a matter of days'.
Commissioner Justin Kelly called the crash 'horrific' and also condemned the actions of anyone who has been driving the wrong way down roads, due to the obvious risks it can pose to both you and others.

On Sunday, he said: “My thoughts are with those injured in this morning’s collision on the M9. These family members were travelling innocently when they were struck by a vehicle being driven the wrong way down the motorway.
“This horrific incident, following the recent collision on the M50, shows how irresponsible and dangerous driving on the wrong side of the motorway is.
“That, of course, should be self-evident, but what makes this reckless behaviour even more appalling is that in some cases it is being done for social media likes regardless of the potentially devastating impact it might have on innocent people and themselves.
“As this particular incident has been referred to Fiosrú, the Police Ombudsman, I am constrained in what I can say in detail about this incident, but I know that Gardaí do what they can to stop such vehicles while also taking into consideration all other road users.
"Gardaí are put in a really challenging situation dealing with such incidents. As always, An Garda Síochána will fully cooperate with the Police Ombudsman investigation which I hope is completed as expeditiously as possible."
Topics: Ireland, World News, Crime