
The mum of a teenager who died alongside his friends following a horror motorway crash has apologised to another family of sisters who were severely injured.
Last week, it was revealed that five teenagers had died after a BMW was driven down the wrong way on the M9 motorway near Moone, Co Kildare, in the early hours of Sunday (16 August).
It collided with a Hyundai, and teenagers Jeremy O'Brien, 18, Alex McCarthy, 17, Joey Carthy, 15, Jack Kennedy, 17, and Kamil Pustkowski, 17, all died in the major crash.

Advert
The people in the other car were later identified as three sisters Niamh and Alma Kinsella, and Ella Hendricken, who are said to have suffered 'catastrophic' injuries and remain in hospital for treatment.
So far over €700,000 has been raised for their family (£599,000) with an update saying that the priority of their loved ones is to give the three sisters 'and those closest to them the privacy and space they need'.

The group were said to have been travelling to Dublin Airport in order to travel to the UK for a family wedding when the crash happened.
Now, the mum of Jeremy O'Brien, one of those involved in the crash, has apologised to the family of the sisters involved, telling the Sun: "I wish my son had never got into that car.”
"This tragedy should have never happened"
Margaret Berry told the newspaper: "My heart goes out to this poor family and if I could see them I would apologise. I have said prayers for them and I hope to God that they can heal.
“This tragedy should never have happened. I am not proud of what happened and I don’t condone what they did. I wish my son had never got into that car.
“I also hope one day that the family who remain in hospital can find some kind of forgiveness some day. I will continue to pray for them.

“My son and those other boys didn’t set out that night to intentionally hurt people and my heart will always break for everyone who’s involved in this nightmare.”
She added: “I raised my son on my own and I’ve now lost a part of me for life, and so have the other mothers. I also don’t know why they drove in that manner and I pray that the full investigation can establish the facts and tell us the truth about what happened.
“I know we can’t go back in time, and my son is gone forever, but I will continue to pray to God that the poor family in the hospital can recover."
In a tribute to her son in a public Facebook post, Margaret penned: "Rest in heavenly peace my beautiful son. My bobbles.
"Things will never ever be the same without you. I can't believe I am even writing this you took a piece of my heart to heaven with you.
"I will never ever forget you my little gentleman it was such a privilege to be your mother I am so proud of you."

Investigation into crash continuing
An investigation into the collision and the events which led up to the horror crash is currently underway, with the Irish Times reporting that gardaí officers had recieved reports of the men allegedly attempting to break into homes and cars in the Athy area earlier that night.
Officers in a patrol car had later requested the black BMW to stop at around 2am on 16 August, but the car sped away and was driving down the motorway in the wrong direction.
The Garda Síochána, Ireland's primary police and security service, did not follow the car onto the motorway due to guidance on the risk of a head-on collision and were instead looking into alternative measures to stop the vehicle.
Topics: Ireland, World News