| Last updated
Back in the day, the biggest worry when it came to mobile phones was how long your battery would last. Back then, though, we had Nokia 3310s, which meant it would take a week for that to be a genuine worry.
Now, it seems that despite the fact modern phones have the ability to die within an hour, there's a bigger worry. Yes, apparently these days exploding handsets are the main cause for panic.
Recently all Samsung Galaxy 7s were recalled after they began randomly blowing up, and now a student has suffered a similar fate at the hands of a iPhone 6 Plus.
Darin Hlavaty, a student at Rowan College in Philadelphia, caught fire during a class after his phone exploded in his back burner (literally), according to reports. Yes, he caught fire.
The student was in a morning physical science class when he reached into his pocket to get a pen.
"Right as class was starting, my phone started smoking in my pocket. It was a fire," he told ABC. "I felt this crazy, hot burning in my leg."
As you would, he then panicked and flung the device across the room, almost like a modern era technological grenade.
"It was super hot so I flinched, grabbed it, and threw it on the ground," he said. "[I] had to kick it because it was on fire."
A fellow student commented that the phone had started making an odd 'fizzing and a popping sound' before smoke began bellowing out of his back pocket.
Eventually, campus public safety arrived and had to move the class to another room because the one the phone had blown up in reeked of smoke. Kind of like a Bradford council flat, I imagine.
Featured image credit: ABC
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read