40-Mile Long Russian Military Convoy Heading To Kyiv Has Stalled, Says US Official
| Last updated
A senior US official believes the 40-mile long Russian military convoy heading towards Ukraine's capital has stalled.
An ominous satellite image revealed there is a lengthy collection of vehicles on their way to Kyiv.
However, it appears the fleet of armoured vehicles, tanks, artillery and support vehicles hasn't moved since they were snapped Maxar Technologies on Monday (February 28).
According to NPR, the US official says they are still about 18 miles north of the capital.
They added that some of the vehicles within the convoy appear to be 'literally out of gas' while it also seems like there is difficulty in feeding some of the troops.
This official said the Russian convoy could just be regrouping before making another push towards Kyiv.
Images of the huge convoy were released shortly after more than 70 Ukrainian soldiers were killed in a Russian artillery strike.
An explosive device hit a military base in Okhtyrka, a city between Kharkiv and Kyiv, according to a post by the head of the region Dmytro Zhyvytsky on Telegram.
Explosions and gunfire were reportedly heard in embattled cities in eastern Ukraine as Russia’s invasion met unexpectedly stiff resistance.
However, the Ukrainian army has been equally as effective in driving out the Russians.
Ukraine says Russia has so far lost more than 5,700 troops since President Vladimir Putin ordered its military to invade its western neighbour.
According to a statement from the Ukrainian General Staff, 200 troops have been taken prisoner.
The army has successfully destroyed 29 Russian-owned aircraft, 29 helicopters, 198 tanks, 846 armoured vehicles, 77 cannons and two ships in the past five days.
They were also able to 'eliminate' an elite Chechen hit squad that was tasked with assassinating Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy.
Oleksiy Danilov, the Secretary of the National Security and Defence Council, confirmed the news in a televised address.
According to the Mirror, he said: "We are already aware of the special operation that was to be carried out by Kadyrov forces unit.
"We received the information from representatives of Russia’s Federal Security Service who do not want to take part in this bloody war.
"The Kadyrov forces unit, which came to kill our President, was eliminated."
There were reports emerging from the conflict that a fleet of 'more than 400 Russian mercenaries' had been gathered together and given one main mission: take out Zelenskyy.
The head of the Chechen Republic, Ramzan Kadyrov, was reportedly the person in charge of sending the elite team into Ukraine to carry out the task.
A source told The Times that the mercenary group was also meant to be targeting Ukraine's Prime Minister, the Cabinet, the Mayor of Kyiv, Vitali Klitschko, and his brother Wladimir, as well as Zelenskyy.
That's despite peace talks between Ukrainian and Russian officials being conducted to bring an end to the bloodshed.
The source added that the group was promised a large reward and a safe passage out of Ukraine if they completed their mission, however it looks like those bonuses will never be realised.
If you would like to donate to the Red Cross Emergency Appeal, which will help provide food, medicines and basic medical supplies, shelter and water to those in Ukraine, click here for more information.