ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Archie Battersbee's Parents Lose Supreme Court Bid To Block Withdrawal Of Life-Support
Home>News
Updated 16:42 2 Aug 2022 GMT+1Published 16:37 2 Aug 2022 GMT+1

Archie Battersbee's Parents Lose Supreme Court Bid To Block Withdrawal Of Life-Support

His parents have fought to keep his life-support going

Daisy Phillipson

Daisy Phillipson

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The parents of Archie Battersbee have lost a Supreme Court bid to block the withdrawal of his life-sustaining treatment, pending a review of his case by a UN committee.

Doctors had previously said they would withdraw the child's treatment by 12.00pm on Tuesday (2 August), but Archie's parents filed a last-minute appeal to the Supreme Court, to buy their son more time.

Archie, 12, was found unconscious at his home in Southend, Essex in April after suffering traumatic brain injuries - which his mum suspects was due to taking part in an online challenge - and has not regained consciousness.

He has relied on medical ventilation ever since at the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel, east London, but a High Court judge ruled last month he should be allowed to die.

Advert

Archie was found unconscious in his home in April.
PA Images/Alamy Stock Photo

Archie’s parents - Hollie Dance and Paul Battersbee - have continued to fight the ruling, arguing that it breaches Articles 10 and 12 of the UN Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities, as well as Article 6 of the UN Convention on the Rights of Children.

These obligations say states must recognise the right to life for those with disabilities and children, and take all necessary measures to ensure equal rights for all groups.

The UK court of appeal met to consider the request on Monday (1 August) just hours before Archie's life support was originally due to be turned off, but it ultimately refused to postpone the withdrawal any further than 12.00pm Tuesday (2 August).

Archie's parents Paul and Hollie have continued to fight the ruling.
PA Images/Alamy Stock Photo

Sir Andrew McFarlane, sitting with two other judges, explained the court's decision as he said: “Every day that [Archie] continues to be given life-sustaining treatment is against his best interests.

"I concluded that there should be no stay other than a short stay for the parents to take stock and consider whether they want to make any further application to the supreme court.”

After the verdict, Hollie insisted she and Archie's father Paul would challenge the ruling.

She commented: "We made a promise to Archie, we will fight to the end. And Archie’s still fighting.

"If [Tuesday’s] the last day then so be it, but we will be applying to the supreme court.”

The mother previously stressed that she would 'never give up' on her son as long as he is alive, adding: "He is too good to give up on."

"When he is to die, we believe it should be in God’s way and in God’s time," she continued. "What is the rush? Why is the hospital and the courts so keen to push this through as fast as possible?

A High Court judge previously ruled Archie's life support should be switched off.
PA Images/Alamy Stock Photo

"I don’t believe there is anything ‘dignified’ about planning Archie’s death. For me, this would be the most traumatic outcome."

Doctors at the Royal London Hospital have said Archie is brain-stem dead, insisting continued life-support treatment is not in his best interests.

Alistair Chesser, chief medical officer at Barts Health NHS Trust, expressed sympathy to Archie's family but made clear the hospital would continue with plans to withdraw treatment on 2 August 'unless directed otherwise'.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy/PA

Topics: UK News, Health

Daisy Phillipson
Daisy Phillipson

Daisy graduated from Kingston University with a degree in Magazine Journalism, writing a thesis on the move from print to digital publishing. Continuing this theme, she has written for a range of online publications including Digital Spy and Little White Lies, with a particular passion for TV and film. Contact her on [email protected]

X

@DaisyWebb77

Recommended reads

GTA 6 release date officially confirmed in latest update from Take-TwoRockstar‘Chia seed challenge' comes with serious warning as expert wants against ‘internal cleanse’Getty Stock ImageBoris Johnson's wife Carrie recalls moment she was drugged by 'black cab rapist' John WorboysITVMan jailed for Charlie Kirk Facebook meme wins $835,000 settlementWSMV 4

Advert

Choose your content:

3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • ITV
    3 hours ago

    Boris Johnson's wife Carrie recalls moment she was drugged by 'black cab rapist' John Worboys

    Carrie Johnson said many women might not realise they had been drugged by John Worboys

    News
  • WSMV 4
    3 hours ago

    Man jailed for Charlie Kirk Facebook meme wins $835,000 settlement

    Larry Bushart spent 37 days in jail for sharing memes about Charlie Kirk

    News
  • Getty Stock Images
    3 hours ago

    Ozempic and Mounjaro users risk £1,000 fine if driving while taking GLP-1 medicines

    A pharmacist says drivers using GLP-1 drugs might need to declare certain side effects to the DVLA

    News
  • Netflix
    4 hours ago

    Secret language Mackenzie Shirilla used with mum during police interview in alarming footage

    Cops later worked out what the killer driver had been saying to her mother Natalie

    News
  • Britain bans 'dangerous and degrading' porn in bid to make major change to behaviour
  • Diddy’s reaction to description of ‘freak offs’ left court reporter ‘cold inside’
  • Man admits sexually assaulting soldier, 19, who took her own life after boss sent her '3,600 texts in a month'
  • Man so addicted to ketamine he'd snort lines for breakfast started peeing chunks of own bladder