ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Boris Johnson Is Recovering After 'Routine Operation' In Hospital
Home>News
Updated 12:56 20 Jun 2022 GMT+1Published 12:35 20 Jun 2022 GMT+1

Boris Johnson Is Recovering After 'Routine Operation' In Hospital

Dominic Raab will serve as acting prime minister as he recovers

Jess Hardiman

Jess Hardiman

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Boris Johnson is recovering after undergoing a 'routine operation' today (Monday 20 June), having called on Dominic Raab to serve as acting prime minister as he recovers.

A spokesperson for the Prime Minister said: "The Prime Minister this morning had a very minor routine operation related to his sinuses.

"He went to hospital around 6:00am and the operation was carried out first thing this morning.

"He was back in Downing Street shortly after 10:00am this morning."

Advert

The spokesperson said Johnson had been given general anaesthetic for the operation and would spend the day resting.

He is planning to chair Tuesday morning's Cabinet meeting, the spokesperson added.

Deputy Prime Minister Dominic Raab.
Alamy

When asked who would be in charge of nuclear accounts while Johnson recovered, the spokesperson said Raab and Cabinet Secretary Simon Case had been made aware of his absence ahead of the operation.

They said: "Operationally, my understanding is there's a 24-hour period from when the operation takes place [...] under which sort of significant decisions would be deferred to probably in the first instance the Deputy Prime Minister.

"Now we're not anticipating any of that being required currently, but we do have that capability."

Earlier this month, Johnson survived a vote of confidence from Tory MPs, with 211 votes in favour and 148 votes against.

If he had lost, he would have been forced to stand down, but the result means he is safe from such a challenge for a year. 

Alamy

Sir Graham Brady, the chair of the 1922 Committee, confirmed that rules can change, having told reporters at the time: “Technically it’s possible for rules to be changed but the rule at present is there would be a period of grace.” 

Others also pointed out that previous leaders have won confidence votes only to resign months later, including Theresa May.

Speaking after the outcome of the vote was announced, Johnson said he was ‘grateful’ to his colleagues who had supported him. 

He told the BBC: "What it means is as a government we can move on and focus on the stuff that I think really matters to people.

"I'm grateful to colleagues and the support they've given me.

"What we need to do now is come together as a government and a party."

He went on to say that this vote was an opportunity for his party to ‘put behind us’ arguments from within. 

He added: "What we have now is an opportunity to put behind us all the stuff people in the media like going on about.

"What we're going to do now is take the opportunity to unite and deliver."

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: UK News, Boris Johnson

Jess Hardiman
Jess Hardiman

Jess is Entertainment Desk Lead at LADbible Group. She graduated from Manchester University with a degree in Film Studies, English Language and Linguistics. You can contact Jess at [email protected].

X

@Jess_Hardiman

Recommended reads

Dodgy Fire Stick users are being identified and given two week legal action warningMichael Nagle/Bloomberg via Getty ImagesKatie Price responds to claims 'missing' husband Lee Andrews has been 'online'Instagram/Katie PriceEmbarrassing moment Elon Musk's Tesla cybertruck tries new 'wade mode' in lakeGrapevine PoliceThailand tourism crackdown has new UK visa rule months after cannabis law changeDaniel Ceng/Anadolu via Getty Images

Advert

  • Alan Brazil explains emotional TalkSPORT absence after 'life-saving' emergency operation
  • British hantavirus patient has 'no idea' how long he will be in hospital for as he is removed from cruise ship
  • Boris Johnson Is Resigning As Prime Minister
  • Trump says US have taken out 'world's most active terrorist' in military operation

Choose your content:

10 hours ago
12 hours ago
14 hours ago
  • Grapevine Police
    10 hours ago

    Embarrassing moment Elon Musk's Tesla cybertruck tries new 'wade mode' in lake

    A man has been arrested after being accused of intentionally driving a cybertruck into a lake

    News
  • FIND KIELY
    12 hours ago

    YouTuber ordered to pay $17.5 million to dad of teenager after spreading lie about her death

    A jury reached the verdict that the YouTuber should have to pay millions

    News
  • MIKE PERSSON / AFP via Getty Images
    14 hours ago

    Two 'people hunters' under investigation over alleged sniper safaris that killed women and children

    Several journalists have now dropped bombshell claims about the alleged war crimes

    News
  • Charlotte Coney/Getty Images
    14 hours ago

    Father pays heartbreaking tribute as three sisters identified in Brighton beach tragedy

    The women's bodies were recovered from the water last week

    News

    breaking