Dog tragically dies a hero after alerting owner about fire engulfing their home
| Last updated
Kevin Record was woken up by his five-year-old pooch to discover his e-scooter had overheated.
The 43-year-old claimed he saw sparks coming from the scooter before his home in Sheerness, Kent became engulfed in flames.
Record managed to flee his home, but not without sustaining 20 per cent burns to the right side of his body.
The owner was shattered upon learning that his XL American bully had perished in the fire.
“I’m absolutely devastated by what’s happened, especially losing Shogun. He was everything to me and died saving my life," he said.
“I can’t explain the speed of the fire. I had never seen anything like it.”
He saw a fireball combust within a matter of seconds and he barely escaped the scene.
Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) investigators say the blaze was sparked by the e-scooter being left on charge overnight, which caused sparks to fly.
Kevin, a charity shop volunteer, is currently in intensive care at the Queen Victoria Hospital in West Sussex, receiving medical attention for his burns.
His sister Gemma said he would not be here if it weren't for his pooch.
She said her brother was in his boxers as the fire began, and he had to run through the fire to escape.
"Seconds after he got out, the windows blew. He didn't have time to stop and get his phone or shoes or anything,” she added.
"He is so lucky that he got out. If Shogun hadn't woken him up, if Kev had been asleep for just another 10 seconds it would have been very different.
"This dog was a hero."
Similarly, in 2019, a golden retriever saved his owner and his family after alerting them the entire backyard had burst into flames.
Hank's owner, Ulysses S. Cocksman, revealed he was watching a film one night while his wife and kids were asleep.
His pet began causing a commotion and that's when he realised what was happening.
“My wife and kids were asleep, I was finishing up a movie in another room. Hank would not shut up,” he said via Twitter.
The fire spread to the back of our house the same minute the firefighters got the hoses to it. A minute or two more, and it was gone. Instead, everyone is safe, and we still have a house. It's black and crispy on one side, but it's totally intact.— Ulysses S. Cocksman (@USCocksman) March 23, 2019
"The very large wooden work shed full of gasoline, paint and God knows what else was blazing. The oaks were on fire. Flaming leaves and embers were blowing everywhere.
"We got everyone up, 911 on the line, the whole family and both dogs out front in what felt like a few seconds. The fence and the neighbour's shed went up like a torch. We were able to wake her up and get her kids and dog outside just as the fire crew got there.”