The parents of James Atkinson, who died in July 2020 after eating a pizza he had ordered on Deliveroo, have said they want the ‘full truth’ about their son’s death.
According to Stuart and Jill Atkinson, their 23-year-old son had ordered a pizza from Dadyal Restaurant in Newcastle via the Deliveroo app.
Atkinson died shortly after eating one slice of the pizza, and his parents have been told a severe peanut allergy reaction may have been to blame.
Atkinson moved from Leeds to Newcastle to study a Computer Science degree but remained living in the city after graduating.
The graduate was known to have a peanut allergy and his parents are now calling for apps like Deliveroo to implement more stringent allergy warnings.
Mr and Mrs Atkinson claim their son was ‘conscientious’ when it came to checking food ingredients, and they want clearer allergen displays to ensure the tragic incident doesn’t occur again.
Speaking to The Sunday Times, Mr Atkinson said: "We'd like to see a simple system where it comes up with a tick box before you make the order – do you have an allergy, yes or no?
"If you tick yes then it instructs you to contact the restaurant by telephone. Allergy information is always hidden away. It needs to be up front."
Mrs Atkinson added: "What everybody needs is a clear, full list of ingredients on every item on a takeaway menu and a sticker on the takeaway box saying the allergens it contains.
"We'll never know if that would have saved James, but it might have done... we just don't want this to happen to another family."
According to Sky News, the owner of Dadyal Restaurant confirmed in 2020 that Atkinson’s order was placed via Deliveroo and insisted the eatery’s website contained ‘very clear’ allergen information.
Following Atkinson’s death, Dadyal Restaurant was suspended from Deliveroo but could still be ordered from on other takeaway platforms, according to Sky.
Deliveroo said Dadyal’s ‘restaurant notes’ section featured a cross-contamination notice.
LADbible has reached out to Deliveroo and Dadyal Restaurant for comment.
The company has so far had the following to say: "This is a tragedy and our thoughts are with the family and friends of the young man who so sadly passed away.
"Deliveroo has been in contact with the police, who confirmed that the company has acted properly at all times, and continues to comply fully with this investigation.
"The company will cooperate in full with the coroner's inquest and will share all information requested by the coroner. We are committed to doing all we possibly can to assist this investigation and our hearts go out to all those involved."
A pre-inquest review into Atkinson’s death is set to open on Tuesday at Newcastle Coroner's Court.
Featured Image Credit: Justice For James/Crowdjustice
- Man Who Hasn't Stopped Farting After Eating Ham Roll Five Years Ago Sues For £200,000
- Woman Who Only Ate Crisp Sandwiches For 23 Years Finally Hypnotised Into Eating Proper Meal
- PSA issued ahead of Thanksgiving warning about dangers of deep-frying turkeys
- Cornwall is furious as Greggs opens first bakery in the pasty town