Police hunting man who threw acid over Katie Piper after going on the run
| Last updated
Police are hunting the man who threw acid over presenter Katie Piper, after he recently breached bail conditions. The probation service is now saying he will ‘face longer behind bars’.
Sylvestre, who was 19 at the time, had been paid by Piper's ex-boyfriend Daniel Lynch to commit the attack in North London.
Lynch, meanwhile, was jailed for life and must serve a minimum of 16 years for sexually assaulting Piper and ordering the attack.
After Sylvestre was granted parole in 2020, 11 years after the assault, he is now on the run from police, with The Telegraph reporting he was recalled to prison for breaching the conditions of his licence.
A Probation Service spokesperson said on Sunday (9 October): "We are urgently working with the police to bring the offender back to prison where he'll face longer behind bars."
In sentencing, Judge Nicholas Browne QC described Lynch and Sylvestre as 'the face of pure evil'.
Sylvestre was released from prison after his parole application was approved in 2018.
The parole board's hearing found Sylvestre to have 'displayed empathy' towards Piper and 'expressed remorse and shame for his actions', as explained in the summary of the decision to release him.
It said: "During his time in custody, Mr Sylvestre has actively avoided anti-social behaviour within the prison and has avoided violence, despite being under threat.
"He has behaved well to distance himself from such influences.
"He has not been involved in drugs in prison and has completed relevant offence-focused work to challenge and change his attitude and thinking."
Piper had previously admitted that hearing Sylvestre’s case being with the parole board was 'a really difficult time' for her, saying on Twitter: "I am trying to come to terms with the decision and this is something I need to deal with.
"Over the past two weeks Strictly has already given me such a welcome and positive distraction from my past. Whilst there is never a good time to hear this news, I am glad I have this new journey to concentrate on."
LADbible has reached out to the Ministry of Justice for further comment.
Featured Image Credit: Stills Press/PA Images/Alamy Stock Photo
Topics: UK News