• Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • LAD Originals

U OK M8?
Free To Be
Citizen Reef

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now

Parents Warned After Three Aussie Kids Were Hospitalised While Recreating Squid Game Challenge

Stewart Perrie


Parents Warned After Three Aussie Kids Were Hospitalised While Recreating Squid Game Challenge

Featured Image Credit: Netflix

Parents have been warned after three kids were hospitalised while trying to complete one of the Squid Game challenges.

In Netflix's most watched show in history, participants have to go through a series of six childhood games to have a shot at the ultimate cash prize. If they fail, then they die.

Schools all around the world have issued warnings to parents about not letting their kids watch the gruesome TV show in case it inspires them to recreate the games in real-life.

Well, that's definitely happened and it's led to several hospitalisations.

Surprisingly, the three incidents all are the result of kids trying to make the honeycomb lolly seen in the second game of the show.

Credit: Alamy
Credit: Alamy

Out of all the challenges, this one is by far the least physical, so you're probably wondering how a kid can get injured while trying to carve out an object in a piece of honeycomb.

However, it's not the actual game that is leading to injuries, but rather it's getting the lolly ready that's to blame.

Helena Higgie told the Daily Telegraph that her son copped third degree burns after melting sugar in a non-microwavable cup.

The solution exploded all over the 14-year-old and he had to be taken to hospital.

"A lot of kids his age are watching Squid Game," she said. "It's very popular and Aiden was trying to recreate the honeycomb with the imprint on it, he looked it up on TikTok on how to create it.

Credit: Netflix
Credit: Netflix

"It has burnt his hand, and because it was sugar and plastic melted together, it has run down his leg from his knee down to his shin and it stuck and kept on burning and burning and burning.

"It was like toffee and burnt right through to the nerves."

Helena said her son's hand will be okay however they are working out whether he will need skin grafts to fix his leg.

Dr Erik La Hei, acting Head of Burns at Sydney Children's Hospitals Network, said he had heard of multiple similar cases across Australia.

"We've had three cases here and from my colleagues I've heard of one in Perth and one in Melbourne as well," he recalled.

"Molten sugar is much hotter than boiling water and it makes for a very deep burn almost instantaneously, it's quite dangerous."

If you do get injured while making the honeycomb treat then you should immediately put the wound under cold running water for at least 20 minutes.

Topics: Australia, Squid Game

Stewart Perrie
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You


Martin Lewis’ urgent advice to UK households days before energy price hike

3 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Full I’m A Celebrity All Stars line up revealed

2 hours ago