ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Man Guilty Of Offensive Tweet About Captain Sir Tom Moore
Home>News
Updated 14:43 17 Oct 2023 GMT+1Published 18:42 31 Jan 2022 GMT

Man Guilty Of Offensive Tweet About Captain Sir Tom Moore

36-year-old Joseph Kelly tweeted 'burn auld fella' after the death of Captain Sir Tom Moore in February last year

Tom Wood

Tom Wood

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A man has been found guilty of publishing offensive content under the Communications Act after he tweeted about Captain Sir Tom Moore on the day after his death.

36-year-old Joseph Kelly posted comments to Twitter about the charity fundraiser – who walked 100 laps of his garden ahead of his 100th birthday to raise money for the NHS – on February 3 last year, and the Glaswegian was found guilty of charges relating to the ‘grossly offensive’ message after a trial at Lanark Sheriff Court.

Sheriff Adrian Cottam said that his ‘gratuitous insult’ about Moore was made ‘with only offence in mind’.

Joseph Kelly has been found guilty.
Joseph Kelly has been found guilty.

Advert

Kelly posted: “The only good Brit soldier is a deed one, burn auld fella buuuuurn."

Cottam told Kelly: “This is a man who had become known as a national hero, who stood for the resilience of the people of a country struggling with a pandemic and the services trying to protect them.

“His statute and the view of society towards him must be looked at in that light and therefore any comment likewise.

“What the accused chose to write, when and how it was said, can only be regarded as grossly offensive.”

At one point in the trial Sheriff Adrian Cottam threatened to put Kelly in the cells if he did not stop shaking his head as prosecutor Liam Haggert spoke about Sir Tom.

Cameron Smith, defending, had argued that the tweet could not be described as 'grossly offensive'. While it might be 'unpleasant' and 'unsavoury', he said, it did not pass the threshold.

He told the hearing that the message was not about a protected characteristic, like race, religion, or gender, and did not incite violence.

Sir Tom, who captured the hearts of the nation with his fundraising efforts during the first coronavirus lockdown, died in Bedford Hospital on February 2 after testing positive for Covid-19.

He walked 100 laps of his garden before his 100th birthday, raising more than £32 million for the NHS, and was knighted by the Queen in recognition of his efforts.

One person who saw the tweet told the court of her hurt at the message.

The 72-year-old, whose family served in the armed forces, said: “To see someone wishing British soldiers dead, it still hurts me. It still hurts me that anybody would disrespect someone that had given their live for the country.”

Another person who saw the tweet said she was 'shocked' when she saw the message.

She stated: “First of all, the gentleman in question had done so much to raise awareness and funds for the NHS in England and became a bit of a national hero at the time, but then the fact it referred to British soldiers as well.

“If you have had anybody who fought for your country, it just left a bad taste.”

Captain Sir Tom Moore died on February 2 2021.
Alamy

She said told the court that she spoke to Kelly after he was arrested, adding that he told her that he had 'done a lot of stupid things in my time but that’s one of the worst'.

She said: “He regretted it from what I can remember, it was a spur of the moment (thing).”

The charge under the Communications Act said that Kelly made a post to the public using social media that was 'grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character, and that did utter offensive remarks about Captain Sir Tom Moore, now deceased'.

Kelly has been released on bail, and will appear before the court again in March for sentencing.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Crime, Twitter, UK News, Captain Tom Moore

Tom Wood
Tom Wood

Tom Wood is a LADbible journalist and Twin Peaks enthusiast. Despite having a career in football cut short by a chronic lack of talent, he managed to obtain degrees from both the University of London and Salford. According to his French teacher, at the weekend he mostly likes to play football and go to the park with his brother. Contact Tom on [email protected]

X

@TPWagwim

Recommended reads

Tom Hardy 'fired from MobLand' ahead of season threeTheo Wargo/Getty ImagesJeremy Clarkson issues health update after being left ‘days from death’Prime VideoDisturbing reason why Chris Watts keeps photos of his murdered wife and daughters in his prison cellFacebookHero Maldives rescue diver shares chilling ‘shark cave’ details as he rejects leading theory over deathsInstagram

Advert

  • Man Sentenced To 150 Hours Of Community Service For Posting ‘Offensive’ Tweet About Sir Captain Tom Moore
  • Neighbour says unauthorised home spa built by Captain Tom Moore Foundation is an 'eyesore'
  • Captain Sir Tom Moore's family defend building unauthorised spa 'in his name' at their home
  • Man found guilty of attacking female police officers during Manchester Airport incident

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
13 hours ago
  • Facebook
    an hour ago

    Disturbing reason why Chris Watts keeps photos of his murdered wife and daughters in his prison cell

    Chris Watts revealed how he 'talks to' the photos of his pregnant wife and two daughters, who he killed in 2018, from his cell

    News
  • Instagram
    an hour ago

    Hero Maldives rescue diver shares chilling ‘shark cave’ details as he rejects leading theory over deaths

    Five Italian divers died at an underwater cave in the Maldives last Thursday

    News
  • Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Major development as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor investigated by police for ‘sex offences’

    Andrew was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office on 19 February

    News
  • ITV
    13 hours ago

    Boris Johnson's wife Carrie recalls moment she was drugged by 'black cab rapist' John Worboys

    Carrie Johnson said many women might not realise they had been drugged by John Worboys

    News