ladbible logo

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Mother left in 'absolute agony' after trying viral TikTok poached egg hack

Mother left in 'absolute agony' after trying viral TikTok poached egg hack

Shafia Bashir said she could still feel the burning 12 hours after the egg exploded

A mum has warned others to avoid a TikTok trend that's going viral at the moment after she was left in 'absolute agony' with skin peeling from her face.

Shafia Bashir had been trying to make a poached egg via a method she'd used a lot, which is currently going viral online, where you pour boiling water in a mug, add the egg and then put it into the microwave for a couple of minutes.

In theory, this is supposed to leave a person with a poached egg, but when the 37-year-old put a cold spoon to the egg, it exploded.

The blast shattered the egg 'like a fountain' scalding Shafia on the right side of her face, and she had to go to A&E after running her face under the tap for 20 minutes with no end to the burning.

She said it was the 'most excruciating' pain she'd ever felt in her life, adding she could still feel pain 12 hours after the explosion.

A mum who tried a TikTok trend was left in 'absolute agony' after an egg exploded in her face.

While she's since recovered from the incredibly painful experience, she's warning others not to try the TikTok hack in case they also get injured from it.

She said: “I just don’t want anyone else going through that, because it is trending on TikTok... It was the most excruciating pain in my life.

"It was a terrifying time for me. I was in absolute agony. As soon as I put the cold spoon in, it exploded like a fountain and it scalded me.

"I put my face under the tap and then had to get my mate to look after my daughter so I could go to A&E. My face has healed now, luckily with no scars. I used Vaseline, Sudocrem, whatever I could get my hands on."

Shafia said she'd been using the egg cooking method 'for three years', and it's recently gone viral as a 'hack' on TikTok.

The egg exploded when she put a cold spoon on it after it had been in the microwave.

Popping an egg in the microwave puts it at risk of exploding as the shell of the egg holds in heat and even after it's been taken out, it keeps cooking on the inside.

Any disruption could cause it to blow just as Shafia's did when she put a cold spoon to the egg.

Cooking hacks like heating eggs in the microwave have become incredibly popular on social media sites like TikTok, and others in the past have had similar things happen to them.

Shafia has said she's never eating another egg again after the incident.

LADbible has contacted TikTok for comment.

Featured Image Credit: SWNS/Newsquest

Topics: Viral, TikTok, Food And Drink, Health