Advert

Latest

12 hours ago
Advert
14 hours ago
Advert

Most Popular

3 days ago
Advert

Doctors Shocked At Number Of Teens With Severe Lung Damage After Vaping

Doctors Shocked At Number Of Teens With Severe Lung Damage After Vaping

Wisconsin doctors have confirmed that at least 12 people have been hospitalised and treated for severe lung damage after vaping.

The first of the cases was reported in July, with the numbers growing, and most appear to be people under the age of 40.

Advert

Wisconsin's Department of Health Services confirmed 12 cases and is investigating 13 others, with some older patients also experiencing lung damage, including a few in their 50s, according to The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Credit: Pixabay
Credit: Pixabay

Speaking to CBS News, Dr. Diana Zuckerman, president of the National Center for Health Research, said: "It's mind-boggling. The vast majority of people who smoke started as children or as young teens, and yet you don't hear about people getting lung cancer until their 40s, 50s, 60s.

"Think about that compared to what's happening to these kids now. I've never heard of a smoker ending up in the hospital in their teens."

The statistics come after a recent story emerged of a Wisconsin man who ended up in a coma, having bought cheap vape cartridge.

Advert

He was placed in a medically induced coma after using a vape cartridge he had purchased from a street dealer.

Patrick DeGrave's brother was hospitalised with severely damaged lungs. Credit: Fox 6
Patrick DeGrave's brother was hospitalised with severely damaged lungs. Credit: Fox 6

The 26-year-old was hospitalised with severely damaged lungs. His brother, Patrick DeGrave said that it was due to the cheap cartridges that he bought on the street in the US state of Wisconsin.

Although he's not been identified by his family, he is said to have suffered major damage to other organs too, after allegedly vaping Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). THC is the psychoactive ingredient in cannabis.

Speaking to Fox 6, DeGrave said: "'These street vapes are very, very dangerous. My brother nearly lost his life.

"The trauma that he caused to his lungs is significant, the trauma he caused to his heart is significant. These vapes can cost you your life."

Another teenager from Florida was hospitalised with a collapsed lung, claiming the chemicals inside Juul pods almost killed him.

Chance Ammirata used to smoke one pod every couple of days - the equivalent to around 10 cigarettes worth of nicotine - and is urging people to throw their vapes away.

The teenager was rushed to hospital after suffering sharp pains. Credit: Instagram/Chance Ammirata
The teenager was rushed to hospital after suffering sharp pains. Credit: Instagram/Chance Ammirata

His warning came a week after he was rushed to hospital with a suspected muscle strain which turned out to be serious lung damage.

The 18-year-old said he had been struggling to sleep due to a sharp pain in his left side. But it was only when he went out bowling with a friend that he was forced to go to hospital.

Speaking to the Mail Online, he said: "Seven surgeons came in, and it's scary when you see seven surgeons come in. You think they're going to tell you you have like five days to live."

It's still not confirmed what the health benefits are for vaping against smoking cigarettes.

Featured Image Credit: PA/Twitter - Chance Ammirata

Topics: US News, Health

Amelia Ward

Amelia is a journalist at LADbible. After studying journalism at Liverpool John Moores and Salford Uni (don't ask), she went into the world of music. Quickly realising that you can't pay your bills with guestlist, she went back to her roots. In her spare time, Amelia likes music, Liverpool FC, and spending good, quality time with her cat, Paul. You can contact Amelia at [email protected]

 

Next Up

'17 Foot' Great White Shark Swims Alongside Boat In Cape Cod

'17 Foot' Great White Shark Swims Alongside Boat In Cape Cod

3 months ago