• Home
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • LAD Originals

U OK M8?
Free To Be
Extinct
Citizen Reef

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK
Advert

Doctors Shocked At Number Of Teens With Severe Lung Damage After Vaping

Published 
| Last updated 

Doctors Shocked At Number Of Teens With Severe Lung Damage After Vaping

Wisconsin doctors have confirmed that at least 12 people have been hospitalised and treated for severe lung damage after vaping.

The first of the cases was reported in July, with the numbers growing, and most appear to be people under the age of 40.

Wisconsin's Department of Health Services confirmed 12 cases and is investigating 13 others, with some older patients also experiencing lung damage, including a few in their 50s, according to The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Credit: Pixabay
Credit: Pixabay
Advert

Speaking to CBS News, Dr. Diana Zuckerman, president of the National Center for Health Research, said: "It's mind-boggling. The vast majority of people who smoke started as children or as young teens, and yet you don't hear about people getting lung cancer until their 40s, 50s, 60s.

"Think about that compared to what's happening to these kids now. I've never heard of a smoker ending up in the hospital in their teens."

The statistics come after a recent story emerged of a Wisconsin man who ended up in a coma, having bought cheap vape cartridge.

He was placed in a medically induced coma after using a vape cartridge he had purchased from a street dealer.

Advert
Patrick DeGrave's brother was hospitalised with severely damaged lungs. Credit: Fox 6
Patrick DeGrave's brother was hospitalised with severely damaged lungs. Credit: Fox 6

The 26-year-old was hospitalised with severely damaged lungs. His brother, Patrick DeGrave said that it was due to the cheap cartridges that he bought on the street in the US state of Wisconsin.

Although he's not been identified by his family, he is said to have suffered major damage to other organs too, after allegedly vaping Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). THC is the psychoactive ingredient in cannabis.

Speaking to Fox 6, DeGrave said: "'These street vapes are very, very dangerous. My brother nearly lost his life.

Advert

"The trauma that he caused to his lungs is significant, the trauma he caused to his heart is significant. These vapes can cost you your life."

Another teenager from Florida was hospitalised with a collapsed lung, claiming the chemicals inside Juul pods almost killed him.

Chance Ammirata used to smoke one pod every couple of days - the equivalent to around 10 cigarettes worth of nicotine - and is urging people to throw their vapes away.

The teenager was rushed to hospital after suffering sharp pains. Credit: Instagram/Chance Ammirata
The teenager was rushed to hospital after suffering sharp pains. Credit: Instagram/Chance Ammirata
Advert

His warning came a week after he was rushed to hospital with a suspected muscle strain which turned out to be serious lung damage.

The 18-year-old said he had been struggling to sleep due to a sharp pain in his left side. But it was only when he went out bowling with a friend that he was forced to go to hospital.

Speaking to the Mail Online, he said: "Seven surgeons came in, and it's scary when you see seven surgeons come in. You think they're going to tell you you have like five days to live."

It's still not confirmed what the health benefits are for vaping against smoking cigarettes.

Featured Image Credit: PA/Twitter - Chance Ammirata

Topics: US News, Health

Amelia Ward
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

President Zelenskyy Sends Surprise Message To Glastonbury Crowd

a day ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

People Spotted Out On Morning Jog At Glastonbury Festival

2 hours ago