Shocking Footage Shows Crowded Italian Street During Country's Lockdown
A shocking video has emerged showing people in Italy seeming to ignore social distancing guidelines that have been put in place in an attempt to stop the spread of Covid-19.
Guilia Domenici, 22, filmed the footage from her house's window in Livorno, Italy, on 10 April. In the video, crowds of people can be seen strolling around the streets, against both social distancing rules and lockdown measures that have been put in place.
The country, which has been one of the hardest hit by the virus, has put enforced strict rules in the hope of controlling the spread.
Guilia can be heard saying sarcastically in the video: "They are practising social distancing!"
She then added: "There are days when there's even more people. The only time when you see less people if there is bad weather."
A total of 20,465 Italians have died since the virus broke out in the northern area of the country, with the first case confirmed on 31 January.
Many countries have put measures in place to try to stop the spread of the deadly virus, which has so far seen more than 1.9 million confirmed cases worldwide.
Social distancing has also been used in the UK, where the death toll has now passed 10,000.
More Like ThisMore Like This
As of 9am 13 April, 367,667 tests have concluded, with 14,506 tests on 12 April.
290,720 people have been tested of which 88,621 tested positive.
As of 5pm on 12 April, of those hospitalised in the UK who tested positive for coronavirus, 11,329 have sadly died. pic.twitter.com/AijH4hfOV1
- Department of Health and Social Care (@DHSCgovuk) April 13, 2020
Although the initial period of lockdown was intended to last for three weeks, the government has said it has no plans to change the social distancing measures that are currently in place.
First Secretary Dominic Raab said in yesterday's coronavirus briefing (13 April) that the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) would be reviewing evidence of how effective social distancing has been so far, but that no changes will be made until it is safe to do so.
Raab said: "This week, SAGE will review the evidence of the effectiveness of the social distancing measures that we've taken, and we will consider their assessment based on the evidence at that point.
"I should say we don't expect to make any changes to the measures currently in place at that point, and we won't until we're confident - as confident as we realistically can be - that any such changes can be safely made."
Raab explained how there have been some 'positive signs' from the data and that 'we are starting to win', but stressed that the UK still hasn't reached the virus' peak.
He added: "We're still not past the peak of this virus, so please continue to follow the advice more than ever to stay home, save lives and protect the NHS."
Featured Image Credit: Caters
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read