ladbible logo

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Simon Cowell's company facing £1 million lawsuit from former X Factor contestants

Simon Cowell's company facing £1 million lawsuit from former X Factor contestants

An unnamed star from The X-Factor has said that six acts from the show are planning to sue Simon Cowell's firm SyCo

An unnamed star from The X Factor has said that six acts from the show are planning to sue Simon Cowell's firm SyCo.

While the show has been on hiatus since 2019, with Cowell rumoured to be bringing the talent competition back, his company is reportedly set to be hit by a multi-million-pound lawsuit.

The claimants, formed of five solo acts and one group, are currently anonymous but have said their case centres on the alleged 'bullying' they faced after appearing on the show.

The X Factor has been on hiatus since 2019.
Chris Bull/Alamy Stock Photo

Speaking to the Sunday Mirror, one of the claimants said: "Being on the show was a horrific experience. We’ve been suffering for years as a result. It’s awful."

The Mirror also spoke to another singer from the lawsuit who said: "Myself and five former acts have agreed to join forces and get the justice we feel we deserve.

"Simon needs to take responsibility. We lost a lot of money from having periods of our lives not making money to deal with trauma still ingrained from the show."

The claimant went on to add that the case was about seeking justice: "It will be a £1million-plus case. It’s about justice, being compensated for the time and money we’ve spent with medical professionals trying to live normal lives again."

SyCo is Simon's company but he is said to have been unaware of the alleged behaviour.
Bob Rendtorff/Alamy Stock Photo

The singer went on to add that they have a 'lot of evidence' and that included 'emails, recordings and psychological assessments that will show how we were mistreated.'

The singer said viewers don't see what happens behind the scenes: "It’s very easy for the public to see us with make-up, beautiful clothes, and dry ice floating around.

"But just moments before stepping on stage many contestants were sleep deprived, in tears, and suffering trauma. Lots of contestants are from underprivileged backgrounds so getting on the show was like a winning lottery ticket."

However, according to the singer, that winning feeling was short-lived.

"You’re sold the dream, but once you’re off the show, you’re thrown into the world with very little after care," they said.

"Your mental wellbeing was of no one’s interest. We were just pawns in their game. When I entered the show I was confident, ambitious, and charismatic. Now I am extremely untrusting, emotional, nervous, and full of anxiety."

When approached for comment, SyCo said to make it clear that Cowell was not in any way aware of the behaviour that had been alleged.

LADbible has reached out to SyCo for comment.

Featured Image Credit: ITV

Topics: X Factor, News, Simon Cowell, Celebrity, Social Media