ladbible logo

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Police called to huge illegal rave with more than 1,000 people

Police called to huge illegal rave with more than 1,000 people

Four people were taken to hospital with 'non-serious injuries'

Police in South Wales were called out to an industrial state where more than 1,000 people had gathered for an illegal rave over the long weekend.

Cops were called out to the ‘unlicensed music event’ at the Kenfig Industrial Estate in Margam, Port Talbot, which ended with four people requiring hospital treatment.

Officers from South Wales Police arrived at the industrial estate at 11.40pm on Saturday (8 April), after receiving calls about the gathering - according to reports, hundreds of people were still at the scene the following day.

South Wales Police Assistant Chief Constable Mark Travis said: "Initial reports indicated that in excess of 1000 people and 70 vehicles are in attendance."

Officers closed roads while dealing with the incident, warning locals on Twitter: “Police are aware of an illegal gathering at Kenfig Industrial Estate Margam. There is an order in place to direct persons to leave the area.

Police said more than 1,000 people turned up.
Media Wales

“For public safety reasons, please do not attend on foot or in vehicles. There are current road closures in place.”

Police initially said three people had been taken to hospital with non-serious injuries, but in an update yesterday said another person had also been taken in.

In the update, South Wales Police said: “Emergency Services and local partners remain at the scene of an unlicensed music event at Kenfig Industrial Estate.

“One further person has been taken to hospital with non-serious injuries. A small number of vehicles and people remain.”

An ‘unlicensed music event’ happened at the Kenfig Industrial Estate in Margam, Port Talbot.
Media Wales

Local resident Chris Davies told Wales Online: "I started work at 6am this morning and I thought it was a concert or something.

"You could hear it at the bottom of the hill. They're not much trouble.

"There were people walking down this morning and I stopped a guy and asked: 'What's going on? Is it a concert'. He just went 'Uuuhhh'. I wasn't getting much out of him."

Assistant Chief Constable Travis said: "We are engaging with those present at the scene to ensure they make their way from the site safely whilst respecting local residents.

Four people were injured as a result of the illegal rave.
Media Wales

"The event is now dissipating and those attending have been leaving throughout the afternoon.

"We have worked with partner agencies to ensure those who need help have been supported. It is disappointing that on one of the busiest days of the year that so many resources have been diverted from supporting local communities to manage an illegal event.”

"I would like to thank the local community for their patience and support."

Featured Image Credit: Media Wales

Topics: UK News, Crime