Cristiano Ronaldo has not been nominated for the Ballon d’Or for the first time in 20 years
| Last updated
The nominees for the 2023 Ballon d'Or have been revealed and there is a startling omission.
For the last two decades, the list of footballers eligible for the sport's highest honour has always included Cristiano Ronaldo.
However, he is mysteriously missing from the lineup, which boasts some of football's biggest names.
Here's all the men who have been nominated:
- André Onana - Manchester United
- Josko Gvardiol - Manchester City
- Karim Benzema - Al Ittihad
- Jamal Musiala - Bayern Munich
- Mohamed Salah - Liverpool
- Jude Bellingham - Real Madrid
- Bukayo Saka - Arsenal
- Randal Kolo Muani - Paris Saint-Germain
- Kevin De Bruyne - Manchester City
- Bernardo Silva - Manchester City
- Emiliano Martínez - Aston Villa
- Khvicha Kvaratskhelia - Napoli
- Rúben Dias - Manchester City
- Nicolo Barella - Inter Milan
- Erling Haaland - Manchester City
- Yassine Bounou - Al Hilal
- Martin Ødegaard - Arsenal
- Julián Álvarez - Manchester City
- Ilkay Gündogan - Barcelona
- Vinícius Júnior - Real Madrid
- Lionel Messi - Inter Miami
- Rodri - Manchester City
- Lautaro Martínez - Inter Milan
- Antoine Griezmann - Atletico Madrid
- Robert Lewandowski - Barcelona
- Kylian Mbappé - Paris Saint-Germain
- Kim Min-jae - Napoli
- Victor Osimhen - Napoli
- Luka Modric - Real Madrid
- Harry Kane - Bayern Munich
SPORTbible predicts Lionel Messi has a strong case to take out the Ballon d'Or for an incredible eighth time after he helped Argentina win the 2022 World Cup.
There are three others from Argentina who have made the shortlist.
The coveted sports award has been dominated by Messi and Ronaldo in the past, with the latter taking out the prize five times.
ESPN says Erling Haaland could be the strongest competition against Messi after he had an incredible year.
The Norwegian striker slotted 52 goals in 53 games and helped his Manchester City win the Premier League, FA Cup, and the Champions League.
In addition to Ronaldo, fans have been surprised to see Manchester City defender John Stones not on the list after having a stellar season.
One said: “Where is John Stones??? What the hell?”
Another added: “How was John Stones not nominated, but Harry Kane was??? ARE WE JUST NO.”
A third wrote: “I’m twitching where is John Stones.”
The winner will be announced at the Theatre du Chatelet during a very glitzy ceremony in Paris on October 30.