ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
England set for 'radical' change to starting XI for Euro 2024 quarter-final
Home>News>Sport
Updated 14:45 4 Jul 2024 GMT+1Published 14:18 4 Jul 2024 GMT+1

England set for 'radical' change to starting XI for Euro 2024 quarter-final

There's been fears Jude Bellingham wouldn't be in this weekend's line-up

Jess Battison

Jess Battison

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Gareth Southgate is reportedly set to 'rip up the plan' ahead of England's Euro 2024 quarter final match.

Yep, when the Three Lions take on Switzerland on Saturday (6 July) in the Euro 2024 quarterfinals, we might finally see a change in their play.

After a couple of frustrating matches, fans have been criticising Gareth Southgate’s side this tournament, with Jude Bellingham sending them a message after scoring a last-minute worldie in the Round of 16.

And while there’s still worries Bellingham could be banned from the next match due to an x-rated gesture, the likely scenario is that the striker will be playing.

Advert

However, as Southgate ‘rips up the plan’, the formation could be looking slightly different.

Jude Bellingham's goal took us into extra time. (Ian MacNicol/Getty Images)
Jude Bellingham's goal took us into extra time. (Ian MacNicol/Getty Images)

It was rumoured the team would be switching to three centre backs for the weekend’s match with Sky Sports’ Rob Dorsett now reporting this is ‘likely’.

“I think that’s what Gareth Southgate is absolutely planning to do,” he said. “To change his team pretty radically and rip up the plan that he’s had so far in Euro 2024.”

According to reports, England’s squad have in fact been practicing a back three in training – for the first time since getting to Germany.

So, with fingers crossed that Bellingham won’t be getting a match ban for Saturday, the possible starting XI will see Kyle Walker switching to central defence, potentially with Kieran Trippier at right-wing back and Bukayo Saka slotting into left-wing back.

Then, John Stones could take centre of this new back three with Eric Konsa on to replace the suspended Marc Guehi.

The team practiced the back three in training. (Richard Pelham/Getty Images)
The team practiced the back three in training. (Richard Pelham/Getty Images)

This back three could open up the possibility for Southgate to start us with two strikers, but that’s unlikely given his previous preferences.

Instead, it’ll likely be Harry Kane with Bellingham and Phil Foden as two attackers behind him.

If, and we don’t even want to jinx it, the striker who was apparently having an ‘inside joke’ with his mates does end up banned, then maybe Southgate will go with a 4-3-1-2 formation with Toney joining Kane up front and Foden as a No10.

England did play with a back three during that final at Euro 2020, so maybe Saturday could actually be the return to fans not booing the players during the match.

Sure, there’s still more training sessions to go and Southgate could stick with his back four but as Dorsett said, it’s likely this back three might happen.

Come on lads, get it together and bring it home.

Featured Image Credit: Stefan Matzke/Getty Richard Pelham/Getty

Topics: Euro 2024, Gareth Southgate, Jude Bellingham, Harry Kane, Sport, Football

Jess Battison
Jess Battison

Jess is a Senior Journalist with a love of all things pop culture. With a specialism in entertainment, she's covered the updates live at major events from The Brits in London to Disney's D23 in California. Jess covers the latest breaking news stories across the UK and the globe as well as interviewing your favourite faces including the likes of Dwayne Johnson, Stephen Graham, Aubrey Plaza and Chris Hemsworth. She graduated with a first in Journalism from City, University of London in 2021.

X

@jessbattison_

Recommended reads

Two Married at First Sight UK brides claim they were raped by on-screen husbands, BBC reportGetty StockBrooke Shields reflects on being made 'sex symbol' so young after starring in intimate scenes aged 11Dia Dipasupil/WireImageChris Watts' prison pen pal gives disturbing theory on why he murdered wife and two daughtersRJ Sangosti - Pool/Getty ImagesGTA 6 rumours are spiralling again - here’s everything we think could happen nextRockstar

Advert

  • TikToker shares incredible match day ready ASDA haul for £20
  • Every team England could face on route to Euro 2024 final and when games will be played
  • Security warning for England fans heading to pubs to watch Euro 2024 quarter-finals
  • Denmark punished for breaking Euro 2024 rules in game against England

Choose your content:

an hour ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • RJ Sangosti - Pool/Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Chris Watts' prison pen pal gives disturbing theory on why he murdered wife and two daughters

    A judge described the killings as perhaps 'the most inhumane and vicious crime' he had seen.

    News
  • Facebook/James Broadanax
    3 hours ago

    Woman who married Death Row killer describes watching him be executed

    Tiana Krasniqi told how her 'brain couldn't comprehend what her eyes were seeing' as she witnessed James Broadnax's final moments

    News
  • Abdelg Alsayed/Anadolu via Getty Image
    3 hours ago

    PETA issues strong response after update on orcas 'left for dead' in abandoned marine park

    The animal rights group raised serious concerns about the 'abusement' park

    News
  • Chris Unger/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Why Dana White announced Conor McGregor's comeback fight during Francis Ngannou Netflix walkout

    The French-Cameroonian boxer simply said he 'doesn't care' as the UFC president made the move on Saturday

    News