ladbible logo

To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Newcastle United fan Eddie McKay stabbed in Milan ahead of Champions League match

Newcastle United fan Eddie McKay stabbed in Milan ahead of Champions League match

The 58-year-old had been visiting Italy with his son when they were attacked.

Newcastle United are said to be 'deeply concerned' after a fan was stabbed ahead of the team's first Champions League match in 20 years.

Eddie McKay had been visiting Milan with his son and friend when the tourists were reportedly set upon by another group.

It comes less than 24 hours before Newcastle's highly anticipated match against AC Milan.

The Magpies have released a statement about the incident, which happened on Monday night (September 18).

It read: “We are deeply concerned by reports that a supporter was seriously assaulted in Milan on Monday evening and we are liaising with local authorities to understand the circumstances.

“Our thoughts are with the supporter and their family and we hope for a full and speedy recovery.”

The Newcastle fans had travelled to Italy to watch the match against AC Milan.
Getty/Stu Foster

It after the incident took place on Monday evening, with McKay, his son and a friend were attacked.

Prior to the attack, McKay had been planning to see Newcastle United's Champions League match against AC Milan - the Geordie side's first in 20 years.

It's unclear whether football was a motivator for the attack, but the 58-year-old was set upon by a group wearing balaclavas.

Though he tried to flee, Milano Today claims that that the man had been stabbed twice in the arm and once in the back.

Following this, he was treated at the scene and later taken to hospital, where his condition is improving.

Sky Sports have also reported that McKay's family will be travelling to support the fan as he recovers in hospital.

His daughter, Rachel McKay, told the broadcaster: "My dad is stable and in a bit of shock. He's gutted he's missing the match but just wants every other Newcastle fan out here to be aware and be safe.

According to reports, the 58-year-old was attacked in the city.
Getty/Nur photo

"He has just had two knee replacements so he fell when he was being chased and that is when he was attacked.

"My brother is okay but is in shock after seeing that happen to our dad. I'm flying out there later. We haven't slept all night."

The assault is a concern as over 4,000 Newcastle fans are expected to watch the match.

However, it's thought that more could have travelled to the city to show their support for the Magpies ahead of the historic game.

The Geordie side will kick off later today (Sept 19) at 5:45pm in San Siro, Italy. Whilst it will be a hard fought match, Joe Willock and Emil Krafth will be missing the game due to injuries.

Featured Image Credit: Google Street View / Stu Forster/Getty Images

Topics: Football, Sport, UK News, World News, Crime