Advert

Latest

Sacha Baron Cohen Wins Best Comedy Actor At Golden Globes For Borat

Sacha Baron Cohen Wins Best Comedy Actor At Golden Globes For Borat

published at4 minutes ago
Advert
Advert

Most Popular

Advert
News

Teenage Girl Dies After Dropping Her Mobile Phone In The Bath

Teenage Girl Dies After Dropping Her Mobile Phone In The Bath

A young girl has tragically died after she dropped her phone in the bath and was electrocuted.

Yulia Vysotskaya, 14, was attempting to charge her phone but the device slipped out of her hands and fell into the water.

According to reports, the medical notes on the death claim the schoolgirl died from drowning after suffering a massive electric shock at her home in Cheboksary, Russia.

One news outlet said Yulia's devastated parents called an ambulance, but added: "Paramedics were only able to register the schoolgirl's death and take her body to the morgue."

Advert

This is understood to be the third such case reported in little over a year in the country - all involving girls.

Yulia is the third young girl to die in Russia in a mobile phone-related electrocution in the past year. Credit: East2West News
Yulia is the third young girl to die in Russia in a mobile phone-related electrocution in the past year. Credit: East2West News

Yet despite public warnings from experts about the deadly risks of using smartphones in the bath, it continues to happen, with one expert claiming that the risks are like 'Russian roulette'.

In December last year, Russian martial arts champion Irina Rybnikova was just 15 years old when she died instantly after using her mobile phone - which was plugged into a charger - while in the bath at her home in Bratsk, Siberia.

Advert

The talented athlete was a promising fighter in pankration - a form of 'no rules' boxing and wrestling originating in ancient Greece - according to reports.

More Like ThisMore Like This

1 of 6
News

World's First Flying Car Cleared For Take-Off After Receiving FAA Certificate

And earlier that year, a 12-year-old girl named Kseniya P was killed after she was electrocuted while listening to music in the bath while her phone was charging, at her home in Bolshoe Gryzlovo village in the Serpukhovsky district of Moscow region.

News

Man Sits In Bath As Huge Earthquake Hits Japan

published at14 days ago

According to reports, he mother was cooking dinner when she become worried about Kseniya's silence.

Concerned, she went into the bathroom and found her daughter dead, with her phone floating in the bath.

Advert
The mobile slipped from the young girl's hand and fell into the water. Credit: East2West News
The mobile slipped from the young girl's hand and fell into the water. Credit: East2West News

In light of the three deaths, experts have issued warnings, urging people to take more care when using their smartphones.

Electronics engineer Andrey Stanovsky warned: "Relaxing in a bathroom with your mobile phone plugged is like playing Russian roulette."

After Irina's death, Yury Agrafonov, the head of radio-electronic department of Irkutsk State University, said the latest tragedy could have been prevented.

Advert

He said: "Water is a good conductor. This is why there was a short circuit when the phone fell into the water.

"If the phone had not been plugged in to 220 volts, the tragedy would not have happened."

Featured Image Credit: East2West News

Topics: World News, Interesting, Technology, Russia

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Former CIA Agent Explains How He Made Targets Fall For Him
published ata day ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

El Chapo's Wife Emma Coronel Aispuro 'Turned Herself Into Police'

published at3 days ago

Dominic Smithers

Dominic graduated from the University of Leeds with a degree in French and History. Like you, Dom has often questioned how much use a second language has been. Well, after stints working at the Manchester Evening News, the Accrington Observer and the Macclesfield Express, along with never setting foot in France, he realised the answer is surprisingly little. But I guess, c'est la vie. Contact us at [email protected]