ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Tough new measures on disposable vapes to come into force tomorrow
Home>News
Updated 10:12 10 Apr 2023 GMT+1Published 10:01 10 Apr 2023 GMT+1

Tough new measures on disposable vapes to come into force tomorrow

A new ‘illicit vapes enforcement squad’ is being brought in as part of the crackdown

Jess Hardiman

Jess Hardiman

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Tough new measures on disposable vapes are expected to come into force tomorrow, with the introduction of a government ‘enforcement squad’.

The government are expected to announce ‘bold new measures’ to help combat the rising levels of youth vaping, with full details due to be announced tomorrow (Tuesday 11 April) by Health Minister Neil O’Brien.

As part of the crackdown, a new ‘illicit vapes enforcement squad’ backed by £3 million of government funding will be brought in to enforce the rules on vaping, while also tackling illegal vapes and underage sales.

Working across the country, the squad will be led by Trading Standards and ‘share knowledge and intelligence across regional networks and local authorities’.

Advert

Alongside the enforcement squad, a ‘Call for Evidence’ is also being launched to identify opportunities to stop children vaping and reduce numbers of underage users.

Details of the new measures are due to be announced tomorrow.
dpa picture alliance/Alamy Stock Photo

It will also ensure vapes remain available for adult smokers as a ‘quit aid’.

O’Brien is due to outline the new measures in a speech at Policy Exchange tomorrow.

He said in a statement: “Smoking kills, so our priority is to prevent people smoking, and support them to quit. We remain committed to our ambition to be smoke-free by 2030.

“However, while vaping is a preferable alternative to smoking for adults, we are concerned about the rise in youth vaping, particularly the increasing use of disposable vaping products.

“The new illicit vapes enforcement squad will work across the country and clamp down on those businesses who sell vapes to children – which is illegal – and get them hooked on nicotine.

“Our Call for Evidence will also allow us to get a firm understanding of the steps we can take to reduce the number of children accessing and using vapes.”

Health Minister Neil O'Brien.
UK Government

According to a government press release, smoking prevalence in England in 2021 was 13.0 percent – the lowest on record – thanks to measures such as ‘doubling duty on cigarettes since 2010 and continued funding to local stop smoking services’.

“In 2021-22, £68 million of funding from the public health grant was spent on stop smoking services by local authorities, and nearly 100,000 people quit with the support of a stop smoking service,” it says.

“In addition, £35 million was committed to the NHS last year so that all smokers admitted to hospital will be offered NHS-funded tobacco treatment services.”

The news follows claims from a teenager in America who said vaping caused his lungs to collapse four times.

Last month, a 17-year-old from Texas was also hospitalised for weeks due to lung failure, with doctors saying his lungs were completely blocked up as a result of vaping.

Featured Image Credit: dpa picture alliance / Alamy Stock Photo / Shutterstock

Topics: UK News, Vaping, Health

Jess Hardiman
Jess Hardiman

Jess is Entertainment Desk Lead at LADbible Group. She graduated from Manchester University with a degree in Film Studies, English Language and Linguistics. You can contact Jess at [email protected].

X

@Jess_Hardiman

Recommended reads

Akon shares details of 'rules' for multiple partners in polyamorous relationshipGetty Images/ Per Ole Hagen/RedfernsFitness community reacts as Gabriel Ganley reported dead aged 22YouTube/@g_ganleyDeath row inmate has 'excruciating' execution after last meal 'mistake'Kansas Department of CorrectionsAlex Scott emotional during last Football Focus as previous names return for farewellBBC

Advert

Choose your content:

6 hours ago
7 hours ago
8 hours ago
  • Kansas Department of Corrections
    6 hours ago

    Death row inmate has 'excruciating' execution after last meal 'mistake'

    It was described as one of the most painful ways to die

    News
  • BBC
    6 hours ago

    Alex Scott emotional during last Football Focus as previous names return for farewell

    The presenter bid an emotional goodbye on the long-running football show

    News
  • Supplied
    7 hours ago

    Teenager, 13, with extremely rare condition facing £750k bill for single dose of miracle medicine

    A groundbreaking trial could give her a future

    News
  • Netflix
    8 hours ago

    Former prison inmate claims The Crash's Mackenzie Shirilla used 'sugar daddy websites' in jail

    She might have to wait a while to see the money

    News
  • Everything that changes from today as disposable vapes now banned in the UK
  • Everything to know about UK vaping ban before it comes into effect tomorrow
  • Terrifying reality of vapes as new first-of-its-kind study shows deadly side effects
  • Woman who swapped cigarettes for vapes to be ‘healthier’ almost died from side effect