To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
| Last updated
A man has been fined £6,000 ($7,600) for getting his hair cut when he was meant to be self isolating for two weeks.
A court heard that Gareth Le Monnier travelled from his home on Jersey to see his wife on the island of Guernsey on 3 July.
However, rather than quarantining himself for the 14 days, as directed under the rules of lockdown, the 37-year-old popped out for a £30 ($38) haircut at Toni & Guy just a couple of days before his isolation was due to end.
The court heard that witnesses claimed he also visited a toy shop and Waitrose cafe on 15 and 16 July.
Le Monnier was rumbled when Border Agency officials went round to his wife's house on 16 July to conduct a welfare check and discovered that he was not there.
When Border Agency officials were unable to reach him, his wife told them over the phone that he may be asleep upstairs.
However, when the couple returned home, the officials were still there and found Le Monnier hiding in the passenger's seat. He was then arrested.
Speaking during the hearing, judge Graeme McKerrell said he should have had no difficulty in working out when he was allowed to leave his home, and that even though he may have been asymptomatic, he could have still spread the disease to others.
He said: "This was a knowing and deliberate breach. I have read the letter but working out when 14 days expires is not rocket science.
"You have put your needs and the needs of your family before the wider public good, but it is the wider public good that has to prevail."
Adding: "You have been selfish across the board."
Le Monnier admitted to two counts of breaching the lockdown rules over two consecutive days.
He was fined £3,000 ($3,800) for each offence and was ordered to pay the full amount before being allowed to leave custody.
Earlier this month, Australian police in Victoria issued hundreds of infringement notices to people found breaking the Stage 3 Stay At Home Orders.
The lockdown was introduced to the Melbourne metro and Mitchell Shire areas at the beginning of July after a significant coronavirus outbreak. Authorities have seen hundreds of new coronavirus cases over the past three weeks, with around 374 being identified on Tuesday alone.
Two Melbourne men were fined when officers discovered they were driving around the city playing Pokémon Go.
Victoria Police issued a statement, saying: "Police intercepted two males in a vehicle parked in the carpark of a goods store in Seville. Police asked... their reasons for being out and both stated they were playing Pokémon while showing the evidence on their phones to the officers."
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read