| Last updated
McDonald's is reopening 11 of its restaurants for walk-in takeaways next week, as it prepares to roll-out the service to high street and city centre stores later in the month.
As part of a trial to see whether it is able to kick-start its business following months of lockdown, Maccies has announced it is opening 11 of its stores at selected Roadchef service stations.
These will reopen on 17 June, with plans in place for a gradual roll-out to high streets, towns and city centres across the UK and Ireland from 24 June.
Confirming the news, McDonald's UK & Ireland CEO Paul Pomroy said: "Over the last four weeks, we have carefully reopened over 1,000 restaurants for Drive-thru or McDelivery, only progressing to new channels and more restaurants when we were confident that we could provide a safe working environment for our people.
"Following a closed test in London last month, I am pleased to confirm that we will begin reopening for takeaway and click and collect.
"Starting on Wednesday 17 June, in 11 Roadchef service station locations, we will welcome motorway users back inside our restaurants for the first time since March.
"We're taking our time to get this right, reviewing our processes before we gradually roll-out to high streets, towns and city centres from 24 June onwards."
As part of the move, the burger giant has said that a series of safety measures are being implemented to keep customers safe, with a limit on the number of customers allowed in at one time, one-way systems and no seating.
McDonald's has also confirmed that toilets will remain closed to customers.
The burger giant also outlined other steps being taken:
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read