Advert

Woman Left With Burns After Egg Poaching Hack Goes Wrong

Published 
| Last updated 

Woman Left With Burns After Egg Poaching Hack Goes Wrong

A woman was left with horrific facial burns after an egg poaching 'hack' went badly wrong. Watch her explain what happened here:

Loading…

Chantelle Conway has said she'll never eat eggs again after she was left screaming in pain and convinced she'd 'burnt her face off'.

Chantelle, from Bolton, boiled the kettle and filled a cup before cracking a raw egg into it and putting it into the microwave for 10 seconds.

Advert

But when she put a cold spoon into the boiling water to try and take the cooked egg out, the boiling water shot out of the cup and into her face.

The mum-of-two said she's been cooking poached eggs in the microwave for two years, until it went wrong last Friday (2 July).

Credit: Kennedy News and Media
Credit: Kennedy News and Media

The 25-year-old said: "I've always done poached eggs that way because it was just a quicker and easier way of doing them.

Advert

"When I took it out of the microwave I put a metal spoon in to turn the egg and check if it was cooked but as soon as the spoon touched the water it shot out. It wasn't the egg that blew up, that landed on my kitchen side.

"The water went everywhere - all over my face and neck and I'm sure it even hit the ceiling because there's a mark above where I was standing.

"It was the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life and I've had two natural childbirths - it felt like someone had a blowtorch on my face constantly and I was convinced my whole face had burnt off.

Credit: Kennedy News and Media
Credit: Kennedy News and Media
Advert
Credit: Kennedy News and Media
Credit: Kennedy News and Media

"I was looking right over the cup so I'm really lucky that I managed to shut my eyes in time and wasn't blinded but my eyelids were badly burnt.

"I think I probably would've died from the pain if I hadn't acted so fast pouring cold water on myself because it was that bad, I couldn't handle it."

To make matters worse, Chantelle was home alone with her 18-month-old daughter meaning she waited almost an hour to get medical help.

Advert

Once at the hospital, Chantelle was told she was lucky not to have sustained worse injuries and credited her fast action of dousing her burns in cold water with preventing third degree burns.

Chantelle has since shared her story on TikTok to warn others about the 'hack', after she said she'd seen the technique trending on the social media platform.

Credit: Kennedy News and Media
Credit: Kennedy News and Media

She added: "I get flashbacks and it's put me off cooking. I'll never have an egg again because I'm so traumatised - I used to love eggs.

Advert

"I do take full responsibility for what happened, it was silly of me to do it and I just want more people to know what can happen so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

"I've seen loads of videos of people doing it on TikTok and I just want to show people what can happen to hopefully stop them doing it."

LADbible understands the poached egg hack was not in violation of TikTok's community guidelines.

Featured Image Credit: Kennedy News and Media

Topics: Cooking, UK News, TikTok

Claire Reid
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Face Covering Rules Tightened As UK Reacts To Omicron Variant

13 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

Face Covering Rules Tightened As UK Reacts To Omicron Variant

13 hours ago