A girl who was crushed by a 21-tonne excavator says her family were told to say goodbye to her.
Shannon Brasier, 20, from Dagenham, had been working in her 'dream job' with Ace Demolition Services Ltd back in July 2020 when she was almost killed by the machinery.
The accident occurred when Shannon was installing a fuel pump into the excavator. It swung around, crushing her head between the machine and the fuel tank and Shannon was left in an induced coma and put on life support.
The catastrophic incident caused brain injury, as well as broken facial bones and a fractured neck bone.
Shannon is making a recovery, but is unable to work due to continuous surgeries and rehab.
"How did I fight for my life and the company only get a £20,000 fine and 12 months community service?" She says.
"My whole family was told to come to say goodbye to me at the Royal London Hospital.
"It was a kick in the teeth, but no matter how I feel it’s not going change the outcome, the judge has decided. I'm just going to keep moving on with my recovery."
The company was fined £20,000 and almost £10,000 in court costs after the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the company in breach of Health and Safety laws at Chelmsford Magistrates' Court, Essex this week.
Meanwhile, the supervisor on the day has been ordered to do 250 hours of unpaid work.
Both the company and the supervisor admitted breaching Section 2(1) and 37(1) of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974.
HSE inspector David Tonge said: “This incident could have so easily been avoided.
"While there were a number of shortfalls, this incident ultimately occurred due a failure to keep the workers away from the excavator.
“Duty holders must ensure that individuals are segregated from vehicles and construction machinery.”
Shannon had been working with the company to demolish an old college when the accident occurred.
"I have a mix of emotions. I'm upset and angry. What do you expect from something that happened to a 20-year-old? I had my dream job, I was moving up quickly, and then it just all crumbled underneath me," she continues.
"I don't remember much about the incident as I have 48-hour memory loss around the event. I remember using a petrol grinder and then waking up in hospital.
"If they had followed simple health and safety rules and regulations I wouldn't be sitting here."
Shannon is in the process of suing the company for damages, and is also awaiting tests to see if she is able to return to work in the industry she loves.
"I don't know anything better and I'm not willing to learn a new trade. I loved my job," she explains.
Ace Demolition Services Ltd has been contacted for comment.
Featured Image Credit: SWNS/LinkedIn
- Lad, 21, has both legs amputated due to sepsis after falling ill with flu and pneumonia
- Horrified family say they were 'electrocuted' while on holiday at Butlin's
- First Dates star Merlin Griffiths says the next stop is 'farting' after cancer surgery
- Queen's corgis stand outside Windsor Castle to say final goodbye