ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Police officer describes horrifying scenes as man torn to death by great white shark
Home>News>World News
Published 12:22 18 May 2026 GMT+1

Police officer describes horrifying scenes as man torn to death by great white shark

Steven Mattaboni was spearfishing with friends when he was attacked off the coast of Perth's 'paradise island'

Brenna Cooper

Brenna Cooper

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A police officer has shared new details about a horrific shark attack which claimed the life of a father-of-two in Australia.

On Saturday (16 May), it was reported that a man had been attacked by a great white shark while spearfishing at Australian beauty spot Horseshoe Reef, off the coast of Perth's Rottnest Island.

Emergency services rushed to save the man's life; however, he was ultimately pronounced dead at the scene.

The man was later identified as Steven Mattaboni, a 38-year-old father of two who lived in Perth's northern suburbs.

Advert

One of the first responders who was called out was Sergeant Michael Wear, the officer-in-charge of the Rottnest Island police station, who later recalled the incident in an interview with local news outlet 6PR.

The victim has been named as 30-yar-old father Steve Mattaboni (Facebook/Steven Mattas)
The victim has been named as 30-yar-old father Steve Mattaboni (Facebook/Steven Mattas)

Describing the incident as 'horrific', Sgt Wear said it was obvious the father had suffered extensive injuries once he was brought back to shore.

"When we first arrived on the scene, you could tell it was pretty serious injuries," he said.

The officer declined to share specific details about the injuries which Mattaboni sustained out of respect to his family, saying: "It's quite horrific, what actually happened."

The police officer went on to confirm that Mattaboni had either been 'swimming or spearfishing' around a one-kilometre north of Rottnest Island when he was attacked by the 13ft marine predator.

"He was on the surface of the water coming back to a boat, and that's when he was attacked," Wear explained.

He went on to reveal that Mattaboni was pulled out of the water by his friends, who attempted to administer first aid while sailing back to shore, where first responders were waiting on the jetty.

"The critical care paramedics are just amazing people," he continued. "Everyone just jumped in and did what had to be done in a very chaotic, very small area.

"Unfortunately, the outcome is not what we wanted."

A GoFundMe has since been set up to support Mattaboni's wife and two young daughters.

Wear also clarified reports on the location in which Mattaboni was attacked, explaining that he was a kilometre out from the island and around 20 kilometres from the mainland.

Mattaboni was attacked by a 13ft great white shark while spearfishing (Getty Stock Images)
Mattaboni was attacked by a 13ft great white shark while spearfishing (Getty Stock Images)

"There was a bit of confusion there where people thought that the shark attack happened in Geordie Bay," he said. "But that's not the case... out at sea."

How common are shark attacks in Australia?

Mattaboni's death marks Australia's second fatal shark attack in 2026, following a shark attack in Sydney which killed a 12-year-old boy (per National Post).

Your risk of being attacked by a shark in Australia often depends on factors such as location, time of year and the temperature of the water.

According to The Guardian, attacks are most frequent in New South Wales, which is home to Sydney, with swimmers at a higher risk if they head out to the beach during dawn or dusk hours.

Despite a rising number of incidents, the overall risk of being attacked by a shark in Australia remains relatively low.

Featured Image Credit: (Facebook/Steven Mattas)

Topics: World News, Shark Attacks, Sharks, Australia

Brenna Cooper
Brenna Cooper

Brenna Cooper is a journalist at LADbible. She graduated from the University of Sheffield with a degree in History, followed by an NCTJ accredited masters in Journalism. She began her career as a freelance writer for Digital Spy, where she wrote about all things TV, film and showbiz. Her favourite topics to cover are music, travel and any bizarre pop culture.

X

@_brencoco

Recommended reads

Sydney Sweeney's naked pose with snake in new Euphoria episode hints at deeper meaningHBOMoment second Virgin Island participant who had 'never gone beyond kissing’ loses virginity to her therapistChannel 4Venezuela Fury responds after new husband Noah Price seen without wedding ring on fingerTikTok/ParisvenezuelaTimeline of events as Katie Price's husband Lee Andrews declared missing person after vanishing six days agoInstagram/@wesleeeandrews

Advert

Choose your content:

3 hours ago
4 hours ago
7 hours ago
  • Facebook
    3 hours ago

    Chris Watts hears daughter’s tragic final words ‘every time he closes eyes’

    Chris Watts is serving five life sentences without parole for the 2018 murders of his pregnant wife, Shanann, and their two daughters

    News
  • Steven S Ogden/Storyful
    3 hours ago

    Horror moment Navy jets collide midair in front of terrified crowd

    The two fighter jets appeared to be stuck together before exploding into a fireball

    News
  • GoFundMe
    4 hours ago

    Woman with boobs so big she can’t play with son or get surgery on NHS shares upsetting reality

    Charlotte Innes, 24, claims she's been denied breast reduction surgery five times

    News
  • Getty
    7 hours ago

    Gina Carano earned an absolute fortune for her 17-second MMA fight with Ronda Rousey

    Ronda Rousey may have secured the win but they both secured the bag

    News
  • Heartbreaking tributes emerge as diver torn to death by 13ft great white shark in horror attack
  • Surfer faces terrifying fight with Great White shark after having foot ‘ripped off’ in gruesome attack
  • Man records ‘final moments’ as he's being attacked by shark
  • Man records ‘final moments’ before being savagely mauled by a shark