ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Viral 'succulent Chinese meal' man has tragically died just weeks after his family announced cancer diagnosis
Home>News>World News
Published 08:57 8 Aug 2024 GMT+1

Viral 'succulent Chinese meal' man has tragically died just weeks after his family announced cancer diagnosis

Jack Karlson, a cultural icon, has died

Dominic Smithers

Dominic Smithers

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The man who became famous around the world for simply trying to enjoy a 'succulent Chinese meal' has sadly passed away aged 82.

Jack Karlson has long been a viral superstar, with memes of his run-in with the Australian police shared in WhatsApp chats around the world - you can even get a t-shirt with his face on.

If you don't have a clue what I'm talking about, shame on you tbh, it's a cultural touchstone we should all be au fait with.

Advert

But for the philistines among you, let's have a brief recap.

The video in question as uploaded to the internet back in 2009, with zero context offered by whichever genius decided to share it with the world.

In the footage, Karlson is seen being bundled out of a building and into the back of a police car, well, at least that's what the cops are trying to do.

It soon becomes clear that the building Karlson is being removed from is, in fact, a restaurant, a Chinese restaurant, and he is seemingly very confused by it all.

"Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!" he declares as the officers grapple with him.

A cultural icon. (YouTube)
A cultural icon. (YouTube)

"What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal?

"Get your hand off my penis!"

Speaking to LADbible years later, Karlson revealed that the police thought he was 'some international criminal, a Hungarian who used to rob restaurants'.

"They thought I was him... which I'm obviously not," he told us. "They ran in and arrested me and that's what you saw on the video.

"I knew the cops hated me so I thought they might have tried to grab me for something I did not do."

Sadly, it was announced today (8 August) that the viral star died on Wednesday (7 August) evening.

Confirming the news, Chris Reason, the journalist who reported on the arrest over 30 years ago, wrote: "Mr Democracy Manifest has died."

In a statement, Karlson's family said: “He walked a full and colourful path and, despite the troubles thrown at him, he lived by his motto - to keep on laughing."

It was announced that Jack Karlson had sadly died. (GoFundMe)
It was announced that Jack Karlson had sadly died. (GoFundMe)

The tragic news comes after it was announced that a GoFundMe page had been set up in his name following a cancer diagnosis.

In the emotional post, it revealed Karlson had become very ill, having been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

"My name is Kim and I am the niece of Jack Karlson. You might know him as the man who ate a Succulent Chinese Meal or Mr Democracy Manifest," his niece, Kim Edwards wrote.

"He has recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer and is also in need a surgery on his cataracts.

"I know Jack’s video has given a lot of people joy and he has inspired many memes, t-shirts and other things over the years, but Jack himself is doing it quite tough.

"He has never had much money but has always been generous to family and friends. He lives week to week in regional QLD with the help of a voluntary carer.

"Hoping people can dig deep - I think he’s worth at least a beer, maybe even a 6-pack.

"The money will go to his medical costs, getting him to and from appointments and other general living costs."

Prior to Karlson's death, over £4,500 had been raised to help with his treatment.

Featured Image Credit: YouTube/GoFundMe

Topics: Australia, GoFundMe, News, YouTube

Dominic Smithers
Dominic Smithers

Dominic Smithers is LADbible's Editorial Lead. After graduating from the University of Leeds with a degree in French and History, he went on to write for the Manchester Evening News, the Accrington Observer and the Macclesfield Express. So as you can imagine, he’s spent many a night wondering just how useful that second language has been. But c'est la vie.

X

@SmithersDom

Recommended reads

Katie Price’s husband Lee Andrews ‘made chilling boast’ before going missingInstagram/WesleeeAndrewsGTA 6 may be unplayable for millions at launch with key decision neededRockstarWoman with vagina in 'world's top 1%' doing $2m a year experiment avoids tampons 'at all costs'Kate ToloMan who ran 10,000 miles and completed 109,600 push-ups, sit-ups, and squats shows off insane transformationX

Advert

Choose your content:

3 hours ago
16 hours ago
18 hours ago
20 hours ago
  • YouTube
    3 hours ago

    Chilling new theory emerges about how five divers died inside ‘shark cave’

    The group failed to resurface from the 'challenging' underwater expedition they embarked on last Thursday

    News
  • Grapevine Police
    16 hours ago

    Embarrassing moment Elon Musk's Tesla cybertruck tries new 'wade mode' in lake

    A man has been arrested after being accused of intentionally driving a cybertruck into a lake

    News
  • FIND KIELY
    18 hours ago

    YouTuber ordered to pay $17.5 million to dad of teenager after spreading lie about her death

    A jury reached the verdict that the YouTuber should have to pay millions

    News
  • MIKE PERSSON / AFP via Getty Images
    20 hours ago

    Two 'people hunters' under investigation over alleged sniper safaris that killed women and children

    Several journalists have now dropped bombshell claims about the alleged war crimes

    News