
Queensland Police have confirmed that a man has died after being attacked by a shark.
Emergency services attended to a boat ramp on the Cassowary Coast, between the Australian cities of Cairns and Townsville earlier today (24 May).
The 39-year-old was retrieved from the water but died from his injuries. He had been diving from a boat with friends at the nearby Kennedy Shoal on the Great Barrier Reef
Police Inspector Elaine Burns told reporters: “The man had been spearfishing when he was attacked and died from a critical head injury."
Advert
An ambulance service said the Cairns resident had 'sustained injuries not compatible with life'.
This marks the second fatal shark attack Down Under, after a 38-year-old was killed in Perth's 'paradise island' in Western Australia last Saturday.

The force will now prepare a report for the coroner on the 'sudden and non-suspicious' death.
"As the matter is before the coroner, it would be inappropriate to comment further," Queensland Police added.
Kennedy Shoal is a shallow coral reef popular with recreational fishers. Divers are also attracted to the Lady Bowen, a 19th century shipwreck.
Fishers reported bull sharks had been seen in the area before the attack.
Last Saturday, spearfisher Steve Mattabonni was fatally mauled by a shark at a coral reef off Rottnest Island.
He was taken by boat to the holiday hotspot were paramedics were unable to resuscitate him. It was suspected that he was attacked by a 16ft white shark.
Known as 'Mattas', he had been spearfishing with friends at Horseshoe Reef when he was torn by the creature.
9 News Perth reported that Mattaboni had been bitten on both lower legs in front of his friends, who had taken a boat out to the spot together.

"His friends have actually witnessed the horrific event," Sergeant Michael Wear said.
"The victim was on the surface at the time, about 20 metres [65ft] away from the vessel," Wear continued, adding: "Certainly quite horrific scenes for all involved and all emergency services that were there did a fantastic job.”
A police spokesperson added: "About 9.55am on Saturday 16 May 2026, emergency services were advised of a possible shark attack off the coast of Rottnest Island.
"A 38-year-old man was in the water at Horseshoe Reef when he was believed to have been bitten by a shark. The man was conveyed by vessel to shore, where he was met by SJA WA paramedics."
The latest death today is the third shark fatality in Australia this year.
On 18 January, 12-year-old Nico Antic was attacked by a suspected bull shark of a Sydney beach and died in hospital days later.
Topics: Australia, Sharks, Shark Attacks