
Two police officers are among seven dead after a horrific car crash during a police chase.
The collision occurred in the early hours of the morning on Saturday, August 22, on the A66 road in South Bank, near Middlesbrough.
Officers from Cleveland Police eyed a suspicious vehicle and began a pursuit with the car, a Volkswagen Passat, which then travelled on the A66 and collided with a police car at 3:39am, said The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), which is investigating the circumstances leading to the fatal crash.
North East Ambulance Service (NEAS) said it had been called to a two-vehicle crash and sent 14 units to the scene, including ambulance crews, a specialist paramedic, a hazardous area response team and a doctor from Great North Air Ambulance Service.
Advert
A spokesperson for NEAS said: “Sadly, despite the best efforts of everyone attending, a number of patients died at the scene.
“We send condolences to all of those affected by such a tragic event and thank everyone for all they did to help.”

Police watchdog has launched investigation
The A66 is still closed in both directions between Normanby Road and Church Lane in Eston, with police officers guarding both ends of the cordon.
The crash site is not visible from the road closures and police have also put into effect a drone exclusion zone around the scene of the collision.
It has been reported that a large white tend was erected at the scene, with multiple emergency vehicles onsite.
A spokesperson for Cleveland Police said the road will be closed for 'some time.
“Around 3:39am this morning, a collision took place involving a police vehicle and a Volkswagen Passat on the A66 in South Bank," they said.
“Sadly, the collision has resulted in multiple fatalities.
“There are significant emergency vehicles on the scene, and the road will remain closed for some time.
“The public are asked to use alternative routes.
“We are working to identify the victims and contact their families.
“This is a quickly evolving incident and we ask that members of the public respectfully avoid speculation.”

The IOPC opened its investigation at 6am following a mandatory referral from the force, with the watchdog's director of investigations, Nicola Marfleet, saying: "This is a tragic incident, and my thoughts are with family and friends and all those affected, including the emergency services in attendance.”
Investigators have been sent to the scene to review evidence, with the IOPC cooperating with Cleveland Police to establish the events which led to the crash.
Anna Turley, MP for the Redcar constituency where the crash happened, said: “I am deeply saddened to hear of the fatal collision on the A66 this morning.
“My thoughts are with the families and loved ones of those who have lost their lives, and with everyone affected by this terrible incident.
“Thank you to all of our emergency services, who have worked through the night responding to this devastating incident.”
She added: “We would ask everyone to avoid speculating online to respect the families and the police while they do their work at this terrible time.”
Topics: UK News