To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Experts say poisonous common flower is not safe around pets

Experts say poisonous common flower is not safe around pets

There's a common flower which is poisonous that you'll want to keep pets away from, and you may already have heard about it.

Experts have sent out a warning about a common but poisonous flower that can pose serious health risks to pets.

Known as the lily of the valley, the flower might look like a pretty plant but all parts of it are seen as potentially toxic, with toxins that affect the heart's ability to pump blood properly.

While young children and pets are most at risk from the poison, both because of their size and their potential to accidentally ingest parts of the poisonous plant, it can still pose a serious risk to grown adults.

Common symptoms of the poison are a stomach ache, blurry vision, a slower or irregular heartbeat, while in more serious cases there may be seizures or vomiting.

In the most serious of instances ingesting the lily of the valley can even be fatal, which is why inquisitive pets need to be kept away from them.

The lily of the valley may look beautiful but every part of the plant from flower to leaves is poisonous.
Wilfried Wirth / Alamy Stock Photo

While they may not die from ingesting the poisonous plant, pets are still going to be in for an agonising experience, and no poor pooch or cute cat deserves that.

People who think their pets may have eaten some lily of the valley are advised by experts to get them to a vet as quickly as possible.

Pets who do eat some of the poisonous plant may need to have their stomachs washed out to save their life, and even if symptoms are not serious they are going to be out of action for a few days.

Young children who might have eaten some also need to get to hospital right away for treatment.

Eating as little as two leaves of the poisonous plant can be enough to kill a child or animal, experts advise that you play it safe and just get rid of the thing if you find it in your garden.

The Lily of the Valley is easily spotted by its distinctive white flowers.
Premium Stock Photography GmbH / Alamy Stock Photo

Readers who are familiar with acclaimed TV show Breaking Bad might recognise the poisonous plant as the one Walter White (Bryan Cranston) uses in a scheme to take down Gus Fring (Giancarlo Esposito).

Using the lily of the valley to poison a child and pin the blame on Gus, Walter is able to use the poisonous flower to get Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul) back onside and set up an assassination on Gus.

Only at the end of the climactic finale to season four are we told what the source of the poisoning was, and a dramatic camera shot shows the poisonous flower as one of the plants in Walter's back yard.

In true Breaking Bad fashion it comes back to haunt Walter as his poisoning is discovered and sets Jesse on the path to exposing his criminal empire.

If you're really set on owning some lily of the valley for yourself – because you like how they look and not because you want to poison people – then you're advised to not have pets or young children around your home.

Featured Image Credit: Wikimedia Commons / Robert Matton AB / Alamy Stock Photo

Topics: Animals, Breaking Bad, Health