Thirteen People Taken To Hospital After Eating Cake Laced With Cannabis At Metal Detecting Convention
Police are investigating an incident that erupted during a metal detecting convention in the UK.
Say what you want about people gathering together to talk about the highs and lows of scanning the ground for potential treasure; but let's stick to what happened in Yorkshire over the weekend.
People got together to discuss the interesting field of metal detecting but there was also one patron who was celebrating their 50th birthday.
He was handing out bits of birthday cake without realising someone had laced it with loads of cannabis.
Sadly for those that chowed down on what they thought was delicious birthday cake, they did not take to the weed well.
A total of thirteen attendees had to be taken to hospital and two were treated at the scene due to adverse reactions, however it's not clear what exactly required them to be taken to hospital.
Julian Evan-Hart, editor of Treasure Hunting Magazine, said: "I think it was an irresponsible, poorly thought-through joke.
"This isn't a poor reflection on our hobby, the dig organisers or anyone else involved the planning of the event. It's just a case of random lunacy."
Mr Evan-Hart said while it was a 'dreadful incident', they don't believe the person who spiked the cake did it to inflict harm.
More Like ThisMore Like This
A police spokesperson said: "An investigation is underway after a group of people fell ill as a result of eating something reportedly containing cannabis, during an event in the High Melton area of Doncaster.
"The group, of both men and women, were taken to hospital at about 7pm on Saturday 24 August. All have since been discharged.
"A 48-year-old woman from County Durham has been arrested in connection to the incident and currently remains in police custody where she will be spoken to by detectives."
A similar circumstance happened in Melbourne, Australia earlier this year when someone spiked a birthday cake meant for a family function.
A woman rang radio station 3AW and explained the bizarre story, telling the host: "Everyone was having a lovely time and cake was passed around at dessert with fruit and cream and some nice little chocolate chunks sprinkled over it.
"It turns out the chocolate chunks contained marijuana.
"The effect was not immediate which I now know is the case with edibles. I've learned all about marijuana and edibles. Within an hour I was experiencing throat swelling and dizziness, within three hours myself and four other family members were hospitalised with overdose."
The prankster, a man in his 20s, ended up confessing to his devilish plot, giving the family members still lucid the ability to tell the paramedics about what was going on.
She reckons someone did it to 'liven up' the party and was designed as a prank. It's one thing to do a cheeky prank and another to send a couple of people to the hospital because they don't know which way is up.
Featured Image Credit: PA
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read