Advert

Latest

5 minutes ago
Advert
2 hours ago
Advert

Most Popular

21 hours ago
Advert

Man Slammed For Using Gas Bottle As Flamethrower To Start His Barbecue

Man Slammed For Using Gas Bottle As Flamethrower To Start His Barbecue

Having a barbecue in Australia is as patriotic as Vegemite, lamingtons, cheering on the Wallabies and cracking open a cold one on Australia Day.

Because you're dealing with an open flame, you have to be careful that you don't hurt yourself - but try telling that to this Tasmanian bloke who decided to take his BBQ skills up a notch.

Advert

The Launceston bloke uploaded his fiery video to Facebook with the caption 'Can't spell awesome without Me!'

The video has been met with a mixed reaction on the social media site, with some praising him as a legend and others as an idiot. The man's only reaction to the criticism was: "I know science and checked relief valve."

While some people might think he's hilarious, there is one group of people who reckon he's anything but: firefighters.

Fire and Safety Australia training supervisor John Farrer told Channel 9's A Current Affair: "Over the years I've seen too many incidents that could be avoided and that's purely with common sense. They just need to take a step back, think about what they're doing, and take their time."

Advert
Fire and Safety Australia training supervisor John Farrer. Credit: Channel 9/A Current Affair
Fire and Safety Australia training supervisor John Farrer. Credit: Channel 9/A Current Affair

He also added some advice for people who were worried about their gas bottle.

"The simple process would be doing a leak test with soapy water around the connections," he said. "And if there's any air bubbles or anything, you need to fix it before you light the barbecue."

But trying to replicate old mate from Tassie could end in disaster.

When people don't know what they're doing when it comes to an open flame, it can be very, very painful.

The Alfred Hospital Director of Adult Burns Service Dr Heather Cleland told A Current Affair: "When that happens, people can become enveloped in flames and their clothes can catch fire, and they can suffer very significant life-changing or life-ending injury."

Last year a weird social media trend took over called 'The Fire Challenge' where kids would set themselves alight for attention.

Credit: WXYZ-TV Detroit
Credit: WXYZ-TV Detroit

It's believed the children were hoping the dangerous stunts will enhance their online popularity and get them 'likes', but many of the youngster have ended up with serious burns - some have even ended up needing surgery and on life-support.

Though no specific numbers have been released, staff at the specialist burns unit at Swansea's Morriston Hospital have seen a rise in kids being admitted after taking on the stunts which has led to bosses sending out a warning to everyone taking part in online dares and stunts.

Featured Image Credit: Facebook

Topics: Viral

Stewart Perrie

Stewart Perrie is a Trending Journalist at LADbible. His first job was as a newsreader and journalist at the award winning Sydney radio station, Macquarie Radio. He was solely responsible for the content broadcast on multiple stations across Australia when the MH17, Germanwings and AirAsia disasters unfolded. Stewart has covered the conflict in Syria for LADbible, interviewing a doctor on the front line, and has contributed to the hugely successful UOKM8 campaign.

 

Next Up

Tyson Fury's Brother Named As Contestant For This Year's Love Island

Tyson Fury's Brother Named As Contestant For This Year's Love Island

6 months ago