Advert

Seth Rogen 'Very Much Regrets' Making 'Terrible' Saturday Night Live Joke About James Franco

Published 
| Last updated 

Seth Rogen 'Very Much Regrets' Making 'Terrible' Saturday Night Live Joke About James Franco

Seth Rogen has said he 'very much regrets' a 'terrible' Saturday Night Live joke about actor James Franco and underage girls.

Rogen had guest-hosted SNL back in 2014, quipping that he'd managed to get a date with Franco while posing as an underage girl on social media - a reference to allegations that Franco had been messaging a 17-year-old girl on Instagram, with messages leaked online showing the star asking whether or not she had a boyfriend and if she'd like to meet up.

Franco later admitted he did send the messages, adding that he was 'embarrassed' after they came to light.

Pretending to read a journal, Rogen said on the sketch comedy show: "To make myself feel better I decided to prank James Franco. I posed as a girl on Instagram, told him I was way young. He seemed unfazed. I have a date to meet him at the Ace Hotel."

Advert
Credit: NBC
Credit: NBC

In a new interview with Sunday Times' Culture magazine, Rogen expressed deep regret for the bad-taste joke, saying it was 'terrible'.

He said: "I do look back at a joke I made on Saturday Night Live in 2014 and I very much regret making that joke. It was a terrible joke, honestly."

Rogen also said he has 'no plans' to work with Franco again, following allegations of sexual misconduct made against his former co-star and collaborator.

Advert

Rogen and Franco have previously worked together on projects including Pineapple Express, This is the End and The Disaster Artist.

Rogen and Franco in Pineapple Express. Credit: Sony
Rogen and Franco in Pineapple Express. Credit: Sony

After actors Sarah Tither-Kaplan and Toni Gaal filed a 2019 lawsuit alleging Franco had intimated acting school students into exploitative sexual situations, a deal was reached in February this year - under which Tither-Kaplan and Gaal agreed to drop their claims.

Following the agreement, Rogen has come out and said he does not plan to work with Franco anytime soon.

Advert

In the same interview, he said: "What I can say is that I despise abuse and harassment and I would never cover or conceal the actions of someone doing it, or knowingly put someone in a situation where they were around someone like that."

Rogen said the allegations against Franco have affected their friendship, adding: "I look back to that interview in 2018 where I comment that I would keep working with James, and the truth is that I have not and I do not plan to right now."

He explained that the decision not to work with Franco was 'not a coincidence', saying: "I can say it, um, you know, it has changed many things in our relationship and our dynamic."

Featured Image Credit: PA

Topics: Entertainment, Celebrity, Seth Rogen, James Franco

Jess Hardiman
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Pub Named After Mythical Black Dog Renamed To Be 'Anti-Racist'

18 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

Men Who Vape Twice As Likely To Suffer From Erectile Dysfunction, Study Finds

2 days ago