‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine' Planning #MeToo Storyline In Support Of Terry Crews
| Last updated
After the untimely cancellation of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, fans of the show kicked off big time - so much so, in fact, that Fox eventually announced that the show would be returning for the sixth season that the world wanted.
Now that the sheer relief is starting to wear off, we're left wondering what to expect from the forthcoming series.
Well, while co-creator Dan Goor didn't reveal all at Wednesday's Television Critics Association press tour, he did give us a few little nuggets to cling on to - including the fact that the show will be showing its support for Terry Crews with a #MeToo storyline.
"Our challenge is to make [new episodes] feel true to the show and funny, but at the same time give weight to the issue and really explore it in a fair way," Goor said, referring to episodes like last season's 'Moo Moo', which addressed racial profiling by police.
He added: "We're really interested in trying to do a #MeToo storyline."
Earlier this year, Crews testified about sexual assault at the Senate Judiciary Committee, saying that he was assaulted by Hollywood exec Adam Venit.
"The assault lasted only minutes," Crews told the Committee. "But what he was effectively telling me while he held my genitals in his hand, was that he held the power."
Speaking to Good Morning America about the alleged assault, Crews explained: "I'm looking at him, and he's basically staring at me.
"And he's sticking his tongue out, and it's overtly sexual kind of tongue moves. I'm sitting there like, it's a party, it's packed, the whole thing, and I'm looking like, 'Is this a joke?'
"I don't understand, it was actually so bizarre, and he keeps coming over to me and I stick my hand out, and he literally takes his hand, and puts it, and squeezes my genitals. I jumped back, like, 'Hey! Hey!' and he's still licking his tongue out, and all this stuff and I go, 'Dude, what are you doing? What are you doing?'
"Then he comes back again. And he just won't stop! Then I really got forceful, pushed him back, he bumps into all the other party-goers and he starts giggling and laughing - and let me tell you, I have never felt more emasculated, more objectified. I was horrified."
Crews first went public with his claims last year, which was when Venit - who denies the allegations - was placed on temporary leave. However, Los Angeles Police Department said it wouldn't be charging Venit, as it was 'beyond the statute of limitations'.
But Crews' co-stars were on hand to show their support, with Samberg told the Associated Press: "We have a cast text chain and we were all texting him how incredible it was.
"He's a miracle. Terry's the best guy. I am proud to know him."
Featured Image Credit: Fox
Topics: Brooklyn Nine Nine, TV and Film, News, Terry Crews, US Entertainment