Jeremy Clarkson responds to fan asking if he could buy Top Gear rights as show could be cancelled
| Last updated
Jeremy Clarkson has responded to a fan asking if the former Top Gear host could buy the rights to the show if it was 'cancelled'.
This comes after a BBC executive said that the idea of returning to filming Top Gear would be 'really inappropriate' as current co-host, Andrew 'Freddie' Flintoff, continues to recover from his accident.
The 45-year-old presenter was involved in an incident at the Top Gear test track last year in December while filming the motoring TV programme at Dunsfold Aerodrome.
Speaking at a Broadcasting Press Guild (BPG) event on Thursday (20 April), chief content officer at the BBC, Charlotte Moore said: “My priority at the moment is supporting Freddie through his recovery so I think it would be really inappropriate for us to resume filming now.
“I think when we get to the point where he feels ready … and we’ll get to thinking about getting him back.”
She added: “I think we’ve got to talk about what Freddie wants to do. When someone’s in recovery, I don’t think we would push that … I think that would be really inappropriate, I wouldn’t be happy.
“I think you’ve got to be really human about this and do the right thing.”
Whilst the series is on pause, Clarkson wrote in his column that Top Gear 'has to be saved' and fans are jumping to all sorts of conclusions, such as the possibility of a return of the iconic trio - Clarkson, Hammond and May.
Taking to Twitter, one fan asked the presenter if there's any chance of that happening.
They wrote: "@JeremyClarkson @RichardHammond @MrJamesMay.
"Now that Top Gear is cancelled, is there a chance you can buy the naming rights and maybe return as a trio??? please.. pretty please?"
Responding to the tweet on April 14, Clarkson said: "Er. We never went away. The three of us are still very much at it."
Although it might not be the answer you want, it's perhaps a good indication that Clarkson and the lads won't be returning any time soon.
BBC Studios has also provided a statement - dated 23 March 2023 - to LADbible, which read: "We have sincerely apologised to Freddie and will continue to support him with his recovery. Under the circumstances, we feel it would be inappropriate to resume making series 34 of Top Gear at this time.
"We understand this will be disappointing for fans, but it is the right thing to do, and we’ll make a judgement about how best to continue later this year.
"This has also impacted the production team, who we continue to support.
"Finally, there will be a health and safety review of the show, in line with our procedures."