It seems like the social media gods are real, because you can finally change your Snapchat username.
For years, Snapchatters have been begging the app’s creators for a way of changing their cringey usernames which they set-up in their early teen years when the app launched in 2011.
Snapchat noted in the press release that the update is particularly important for trans and non-binary members on the platform in order to avoid deadnaming and misgendering on the site.
The move on the platform comes as TikTok recently banned the use of transgender people's pre-transition names and incorrect pronouns.
So, here’s how to change your username on Snapchat and clear the platform of your self-titled secondary school nickname for good.
Is there a way to change your Snapchat username?
Yes, it is possible to change your Snapchat username!
Snapchat users on both iOS and Android will be able to change their original username from 23rd February 2022.
The username change will not impact any users’ friendships, streaks, snap codes, snap scores, memories, or other personalised features on the app.
However, you can only change your username once a year - there’s no chopping and changing here!
To update your Snapchat username:
- Tap the Bitmoji icon in the top right corner of the Camera to head to the profile screen
- Select settings by tapping on the gear icon in the top right corner of the profile
- Tap “Username,” just below Name, and select “Change Username” marked in blue
- From there, click continue on the pop up reminding that Usernames can only be changed once per year
- Type in a new Username, hit next, and log back in to Snapchat to finalize.
- Enjoy your swanky new username!
Featured Image Credit: Lauren Hurley/ PA
Topics: Snapchat, Social Media, iPhone, Phones