ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Freddie Flintoff’s horror Top Gear crash happened at just 22mph, new reports claim
Home>Entertainment>TV
Published 11:22 8 Oct 2023 GMT+1

Freddie Flintoff’s horror Top Gear crash happened at just 22mph, new reports claim

The future of the show is very much uncertain

Joe Harker

Joe Harker

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Freddie Flintoff was doing 22mph when the horrific crash which caused him serious injuries occurred, new reports claim.

The Mail on Sunday reports that the Top Gear presenter was not wearing a helmet when he flipped a vehicle on a corner of the show's test track at Dunsfold Park Aerodrome.

They report that Flintoff was going at 22mph behind the wheel of a Morgan Super 3 when the vehicle flipped on the Top Gear test track's first corner.

Advert

Flintoff, who was seen in public for the first time since the terrible crash last month, suffered serious injuries to his face and several broken ribs, with the future of the show in doubt ever since.

Production of the show was brought to a halt as the BBC said it would be 'inappropriate to resume making series 34 of Top Gear at this time'.

New reports claim Flintoff was going 22mph but did not have a helmet on.
Visionhaus/Getty Images

Work has not resumed on finishing the latest series of Top Gear and ever since then fans of the show have been wondering if this is the end of the road.

There had been recent reports that the BBC had taken the decision to axe Top Gear and tell staff working on the show to seek employment elsewhere.

However, the BBC denied that it'd made a decision on the future of Top Gear, saying: "A decision on the timing of future Top Gear shows will be made in due course with BBC Content."

Flintoff had spoken about the 'daredevil' nature of the show while appearing on The Graham Norton Show in 2020, saying he had to sign waivers before stunts after Norton asked whether Top Gear presenters had to say 'if I die don't worry about it'.

The former England cricketer had been talking about a stunt in which he bungee jumped a car, saying: "Everyone thinks I am a daredevil, but that is not the case. After bungee jumping in a car, they keep upping the ante."

The future of the show is in doubt, though the BBC has said it hasn't yet made a decision.
BBC

Top Gear has a history of the presenters scoring injuries while performing stunts for the show.

Jeremy Clarkson was injured when he drove a lorry through a brick wall for an episode, while Richard Hammond had a near-death experience behind the wheel of a jet car.

Former Top Gear presenter Angela Rippon had previously said that Flintoff decided 'his life is more important than a television programme'.

She explained that she'd been making a segment of the show with Flintoff for series 34 of Top Gear.

Another ex-Top Gear presenter, Steve Berry, hit out at the programme for asking non-professional drivers to do dangerous motoring stunts.

After the crash the BBC said it would be conducting a health and safety review of the show, when contacted by LADbible about the claims made by the Mail on Sunday they declined to comment.

The future of Top Gear is uncertain.
Instagram/@topgeartv/BBC

In a previous statement made on the matter they said: "BBC Studios has concluded its investigation into the accident at the Top Gear Test Track in Surrey last December, which regrettably injured presenter Freddie Flintoff.

"We have sincerely apologised to Freddie and will continue to support him with his recovery. Under the circumstances, we feel it would be inappropriate to resume making series 34 of Top Gear at this time."

"We understand this will be disappointing for fans, but it is the right thing to do, and we’ll make a judgement about how best to continue later this year."

"This has also impacted the production team, who we continue to support. Finally, there will be a health and safety review of the show, in line with our procedures."

LADbible has contacted Flintoff's reps for comment.

Featured Image Credit: BBC/Visionhaus/Getty Images

Topics: Top Gear, Freddie Flintoff, BBC, TV and Film

Joe Harker
Joe Harker

Joe graduated from the University of Salford with a degree in Journalism and worked for Reach before joining the LADbible Group. When not writing he enjoys the nerdier things in life like painting wargaming miniatures and chatting with other nerds on the internet. He's also spent a few years coaching fencing. Contact him via [email protected]

X

@MrJoeHarker

Recommended reads

How Nicholas Cage blew $150 million fortune and was left on brink of bankruptcy despite stardomAmy Sussman/GettyFreddie Mercury left final gift to daughter that was hidden away for 48 yearsPete Still/RedfernsFitness instructor explains three side effects that happen after going cold turkey on creatineGetty StockSecrets of Ancient Egypt's biggest cult unearthed with latest discovery of 3,500-year-old tombEgyptian Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities

Advert

Choose your content:

Just now
2 mins ago
an hour ago
  • Amy Sussman/Getty
    Just now

    How Nicholas Cage blew $150 million fortune and was left on brink of bankruptcy despite stardom

    The actor admitted he even took on 'crummy' movies as he worked to pay off his debts

    Entertainment
  • Pete Still/Redferns
    2 mins ago

    Freddie Mercury left final gift to daughter that was hidden away for 48 years

    His alleged daughter first spoke up last year to suggest Mercury was her father

    Entertainment
  • Shane Anthony Sinclair/Getty Images for Paramount Plus
    an hour ago

    Tom Hardy's MobLand co-star Helen Mirren spoke out after reports of on-set feud

    A report from earlier today revealed Tom Hardy was fired from MobLand ahead of the third season

    Entertainment
  • Netflix
    an hour ago

    Duffer Brothers' new 'Stranger Things with OAPs' is ready for you to binge on Netflix this weekend

    The Boroughs has had rave reviews already, recommended for lovers of 'Stranger Things, The Goonies and Spielberg'

    Entertainment
  • Freddie Flintoff set for TV return after being pictured following horror Top Gear crash
  • Top Gear presenter Chris Harris finally breaks silence on Freddie Flintoff crash in furious rant at BBC
  • BBC issued full apology and compensation payout following Freddie Flintoff's horrific Top Gear crash
  • Top Gear presenter Chris Harris breaks down what actually happened in crash that almost killed Freddie Flintoff