Graham Norton has revealed Liverpool will be hosting the 67th Eurovision Song Contest in 2023.
This year's Eurovision Song Contest saw Ukrainian rap group Kalush Orchestra take home the crown with their song 'Stefania'. The group amassed 631 points with the United Kingdom's Sam Ryder following a close second with 466.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy was adamant Ukraine would still be able to hold the Eurovision Song Contest 2023 despite the ongoing conflict occurring in the country.
However, in July, the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) and BBC confirmed the contest would be held in the UK on behalf of Ukraine.
Liverpool will host #Eurovision 2023 on behalf of Ukraine…and it’s gonna be proper boss 👍— Eurovision Song Contest (@Eurovision) October 7, 2022
🇬🇧🇺🇦 Find out all about Liverpool 2023 right here: https://t.co/a1zGojGfbr pic.twitter.com/hCrSYkMAsO
In August, seven UK cities were shortlisted for hosting the event from a group of 20 who had 'express[ed] interest'.
The cities were: Birmingham, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle and Sheffield.
Each host city was asked to showcase what they had to offer and eventually the group was whittled down to just two.
Liverpool and Glasgow made the final round and earlier today (Friday, 7 October) Ken Bruce revealed on Radio 2 the announcement would be made by Graham Norton on tonight's The One Show.
🚨 It's the moment you've all been waiting for. @grahnort, please do the honours ✉️— BBC The One Show (@BBCTheOneShow) October 7, 2022
✨ THE HOST CITY OF @BBCEurovision 2023 IS...LIVERPOOL! 🇬🇧🇺🇦 #TheOneShow 👉 https://t.co/D1ZMB7jdbY #Eurovision pic.twitter.com/b1f9Ltd2LJ
The final decision was made by the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) as well as the BBC.
The host city had to fit four specific criteria outlined by the contest:
- Having a suitable venue and sufficient space to deliver the requirements of the Eurovision Song Contest.
- The commitment that can be made by a city or region to hosting the event, including the financial contribution.
- The strength of the cultural offer which includes off screen local and regional activity as well as showcasing Ukrainian culture and music/
- Alignment with the BBC’s strategic priorities as a public service broadcaster, such as providing value to all audiences and supporting the creative economy in the UK.
🎉 Congratulations Liverpool 🎉#Liverpool is the official host city of the @bbceurovision Song Contest 2023, on behalf of Ukraine!— BBC (@BBC) October 7, 2022
Watch the semi finals on 9 & 11 May 2023 and the grand final on 13 May 2023 - @BBCOne and @BBCiPlayer #Eurovision pic.twitter.com/n0UpmFE5ZD
People have flooded to social media in response to the exciting news.
"Well done Liverpool, it's gonna be great. Sad it isn't Glasgow, but it's gonna be amazing!" one said.
Nicola Sturgeon, first minister of Scotland, wrote: "Congratulations, Liverpool. Gutted for Glasgow, but no doubt you’ll do @Eurovision and Ukraine proud."
A third commented: "Eurovision and a weekend in Liverpool! Could it get much better?!"
THIS IS MAD EUROVISION IS COMIGN TO MY CITY— bigger than el :) (@iheartfender) October 7, 2022
YOOOO I actually can't believe we're hosting Eurovision! We never get ANYTHING! And Glasgow and Manchester were favourites from the start but I guess they got complacent??? And we campaigned really hard??? what's GOING on— Andrew Cecil (@Cec_Or_Whatever) October 7, 2022
My mum is booking a hotel already oh my god— ΛYƧΣ 💙💛 // EUROVISION 2023 🇺🇦🇬🇧 LETS GO (@swedenspeak) October 7, 2022
Norton also revealed the exact date 2023's Eurovision Song Contest is set to take place which is 13 May, 2023.
The 67th Eurovision Song Contest marks the ninth time the event has been held in the UK.
Featured Image Credit: ZUMA Press, Inc. / Colin Fisher / Alamy Stock Photo
Topics: Eurovision, Music, UK News, Ukraine
- Ukraine Eurovision Song Contest Commentator Broadcasts From Inside Bomb Shelter
- Eurovision fans are complaining about 'absolute shambles' of ticketing process
- President Zelenskyy Confirms Ukraine Will Be Able To Host Eurovision Next Year
- There Are Calls For The Wiggles To Represent Australia At Eurovision 2023