| Last updated
McDonald's is re-launching its breakfast menu in 42 restaurants from today (Wednesday 24 June).
A limited menu will be on offer to begin with, but thankfully hash browns, McMuffins and pancakes all make the cut. These restaurants will also operate under extended opening hours, having previously only been open from 11am until 10pm (aka outside breakfast hours).
If the trial is successful, the full menu will subsequently be rolled out across all restaurants.
CEO Paul Pomroy said: "As with our main menu, we will have a limited menu at breakfast but we've kept the classics - hash browns, McMuffins and pancakes all return.
"Unfortunately, whilst adhering to social distancing guidelines, we are unable to serve porridge, bagels and our Breakfast Wrap. This is because we have fewer people in the kitchen.
"When deciding the reopening menu, we took the decision to remove any items that might be challenging for our our teams to make while maintaining social distancing in the kitchen - for example, wraps and Shakes.
"These are two menu items that often create additional traffic in certain parts of the kitchen and we need more time to ensure that we can bring them back to you, without impacting the safety measures we have put in place.
"I know it is disappointing if these are your usual favourites, but in light of the challenges we are all facing, I really appreciate your understanding of the restrictions and changes that we have implemented to help keep you and our people safe."
The fast food giant has been gradually reopening its UK sites after they closed down as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. On Wednesday (17 June), Maccies opened 11 of its stores at selected Roadchef service stations for walk-in takeaways, announcing plans to reopen in high streets, towns and city centres across the UK and Ireland from 24 June.
Pomroy has urged customers to 'bear with' the chain during this reopening phase, as it will take time before the restaurants can offer the same speed and range of options as they did pre-coronavirus.
He said: "Our service will not be as quick as you might be used to, as we adjust to smaller teams and social distancing in our kitchens.
"We expect there will be some queues for some of our busier sites and our restaurants will look different, with Perspex screens at our Drive-Thru windows and employees wearing protective equipment.
"I ask that you continue to be supportive of and patient with our restaurant teams as we slowly and safely return. We are asking all of our employees to adapt to how our restaurants now work, and will only reopen at a pace that enables them to work safely.
"As we get accustomed to the new processes and procedures, we will look to reopen more restaurants, for longer hours and reintroduce more menu items. But only when I am confident we can do so whilst maintaining the new procedures we have introduced for the protection of our people."
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read