ladbible homepage
ladbible homepage
  • Home
  • News
    • UK
    • US
    • World
    • Ireland
    • Australia
    • Science
    • Crime
    • Weather
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV
    • Film
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • Netflix
    • Disney
  • Sport
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • Lifestyle
  • Money
  • Originals
    • FFS PRODUCTIONS
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Citizen Reef
  • Videos
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • SPORTbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Jury orders Alex Jones to pay $965 million to families of Sandy Hook victims
Home>News
Updated 23:01 12 Oct 2022 GMT+1Published 21:07 12 Oct 2022 GMT+1

Jury orders Alex Jones to pay $965 million to families of Sandy Hook victims

The ruling comes after Jones falsely claimed Sandy Hook victims were actors who faked the tragedy.

Rachel Lang

Rachel Lang

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Far-right conspiracy theorist Alex Jones has been ordered to cough up big time after he claimed the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre was a hoax.

A Connecticut jury handed down their verdict on October 12, ruling that the Infowars host must pay USD$965 million (AUD$1.5 billion, £545 million) in damages to numerous families of victims of the 2012 mass shooting, Reuters reports.

Each plaintiff received millions of dollars, with one family member receiving more than USD$80 million (AUD$127 million, £72 million).

TT News Agency / Alamy

Advert

The jury's decision is the second multimillion-dollar verdict against the conspiracy theorist in just over two months.

In August, another jury found that Jones and his company must pay USD$49.3 million (AUD$78 million, £27 million) to the victims' parents in a similar case in Texas, where the headquarters of the Infowars website is located.

The latest verdict was handed down in the Connecticut state court in Waterbury, not far from where a gunman killed 20 children and six staff members at Sandy Hook Elementary School in December 2012. 

The Infowars host has claimed for years that the Sandy Hook slayings were a fake event and was staged by government actors as part of a plot to seize Americans' guns.

President Barack Obama talks with family members of victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings in 2013.
American Photo Archive / Alamy.

As a result of Jones' claims, families of those killed in the horrific school attack that shocked the world have been harassed by fellow conspiracy theorists for nearly 10 years.

During last week's closing statements in court, lawyers acting on behalf of the families of the Sandy Hook victims said Jones and his company, Free Speech Systems LLC, have cashed in on his conspiracy theory for years.

Lawyers said Jones' lies about the shooting boosted traffic to his website and made him millions of dollars in revenue as the victims' families suffered a decade-long campaign of harassment and death threats by Jones’ followers.

Lawyer for the plaintiffs, Chris Mattei, told jurors that 'every single one of these families (was) drowning in grief, and Alex Jones put his foot right on top of them'.

Alex Jones arrives at a Texas court in August.
Bob Daemmrich / Alamy

During the court case Jones admitted that his claims about the Sandy Hook shooting had been false but refused to apologise to the families.

A representative for Jones' company testified they had made at least USD$100 million (AUD$159 million, £56 million) in the past decade.

That figure aided the jury in coming up with a damage structure for their final decision.

A third trial in Texas involving the parents of another child slain at Sandy Hook is set to begin near the end of the year.

Featured Image Credit: TT News Agency / Alamy . ZUMA Press, Inc. / Alamy.

Topics: News, US News, Crime, Conspiracy Theory

Rachel Lang
Rachel Lang

Rachel Lang is a Digital Journalist at LADbible. During her career, she has interviewed Aussie PM Malcolm Turnbull in the lead up to the 2016 federal election, ran an editorial campaign on the war in Yemen, and reported on homelessness in the lead-up to Harry and Meghan’s wedding in Windsor. She also once wrote a yarn on the cheese and wine version of Fyre Festival.

X

@rlangjournalist

Recommended reads

England fans risk deportation at World Cup if they break bizarre US law which doesn't exist in UKStu Forster/Getty ImagesEngland World Cup squad announced as Harry Maguire and five more huge stars miss outCarl Recine/Getty ImagesTom Hardy 'fired from MobLand' ahead of season threeTheo Wargo/Getty ImagesJeremy Clarkson issues health update after being left ‘days from death’Prime Video

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • Carl Recine/Getty Images
    an hour ago

    England World Cup squad announced as Harry Maguire and five more huge stars miss out

    Thomas Tuchel has announced his 2026 World Cup squad

    News
  • Facebook
    2 hours ago

    Disturbing reason Chris Watts keeps photos of his murdered wife and daughters in his prison cell

    Chris Watts revealed how he 'talks to' the photos of his pregnant wife and two daughters, who he killed in 2018, from his cell

    News
  • Instagram
    2 hours ago

    Hero Maldives rescue diver shares chilling ‘shark cave’ details as he rejects leading theory over deaths

    Five Italian divers died at an underwater cave in the Maldives last Thursday

    News
  • Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Major development as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor investigated by police for ‘sex offences’

    Andrew was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office on 19 February

    News
  • FBI set to release Jeffrey Epstein video that 'proves' how he really died
  • Inside mysterious 29-storey windowless New York building with 'dark secret'
  • Main theories behind what happened to well-dressed woman who took coffee sip then jumped to death from tower
  • Hospital won't have to pay Take Care of Maya family $200 million after mum's suicide