Novak Djokovic is officially out of Australia after he boarded a late night flight from Sydney to Dubai yesterday (January 16).
The world number one male tennis star received news on Sunday that he was being deported from Australia once and for all.
Immigration Minister Alex Hawke cited 'health' and 'good order' under section 133C (3) of the Migration Act as grounds for booting the Serbian out of the country.
He said Djokovic's presence in Australia could stoke anti-vaccination sentiments in Australia and re-cancelled his visa on Friday (January 14) afternoon.
On late Sunday afternoon, the Federal Court of Australia unanimously agreed to uphold that decision, which sealed Novak's fate.
While Djokovic will no doubt be devastated to miss this year's Australian Open, where he was hoping to clinch a 10th title, the ramifications of his deportation order could see him sit on the sidelines for a while.
Home Affairs Minister Karen Andrews told Sky News Australia: "Mr Djokovic is now subject to a three-year exclusion - it can be waived in compelling circumstances but that's not a matter for today or tomorrow that's a matter for some time in the future.
"But we have been clear that the Morrison government has always maintained very strong border protection policies.
"Anyone who has been excluded from entry to Australia or who had their visa cancelled; it is not going to be an easy or a straightforward process to get any entry into Australia."
The law allows for people who have previously been deported to request an exemption if they can successfully argue that their presence in Australia can 'affect the interests' of the country.
You could argue that having the world number one male tennis star at the tournament would affect Aussies' interest in the Australian Open.
However, it's unclear whether that would be a positive or negative reaction to his presence.
Former deputy secretary of the Immigration Department, Abul Rizvi, told The Project: "Djokovic can apply to the government to ask for the ban to be waived on compelling and compassionate grounds.
"I imagine if he wants to play in next year's Australian Open, he may apply.
"I suspect whoever is the minister would probably allow that."
Djokovic issued a statement yesterday before he was put on a plane home.
He said: "I am extremely disappointed with the Court ruling to dismiss my application for judicial review of the Minister's decision to cancel my visa, which means I cannot stay in Australia and participate in the Australian Open.
"I respect the Court's ruling and I will cooperate with the relevant authorities in relation to my departure from the country.
"I am uncomfortable that the focus of the past weeks has been on me and I hope that we can all now focus on the game and tournament I love.
"I would like to wish the players, tournament officials, staff, volunteers and fans all the best for the tournament.
"Finally, I would like to thank my family, friends, team, supporters, fans and my fellow Serbians for your continued support,' the player concluded.
"You have all been a great source of strength to me."
Featured Image Credit: Alamy
- Novak Djokovic Biographer Reckons Tennis Star Will Get Vaccinated
- Kmart has been praised for not selling Australia Day items ahead of January 26
- Novak Djokovic will be allowed to play at the 2023 Australian Open despite three year ban
- Novak Djokovic Banned From Competing In The US Open Over Covid-19 Vaccine Stance